Revell Omega leaking oil - any pointers?

Hook

My trusty old Revell Omega has suddenly begun leaking oil quite noticably.

I must confess to not being all that technical; also, the design of the thing is such that I cannot really see much about the location of the leak.

Did anyone else experience this?

TIA!,

Andre

Looks to be a fridge compressor type, have you topped up the oil recently and to the correct level.

If you haven't done the above, the oil top up plug or the band that runs around the compressor could be the place.

13 minutes ago, colin said:

Looks to be a fridge compressor type, have you topped up the oil recently and to the correct level.

If you haven't done the above, the oil top up plug or the band that runs around the compressor could be the place.

Thanks for responding - I will look into it tonight!

Just a quick question to show my fundamentally flawed understanding of compressors I already mentioned  - how could not topping off the oil result in oil leaking? I must admit to not refilling the oil, precisely because of the spillage.

Cheers,

Ande

If there is oil spillage it's most likley coming from the cover seal or air intake filter - this can be caused by moving the compressor & letting the oil slop about inside or running the compressor on an incline. The only other place the motor case can leak from is the sight bubble, unlikley, but if the gasket / seal has failed, possible.

A reducing oil level with no spillage suggests that the oil is passing into the air tank, this can be caused by oil passed it best, motor/pump overheating or at worst a worn head. This can be easily checked for by filling to pressure & draining from the drain screw - a small amount of oil is not unusual, but mainly oil is.