Hello, complete newbie checking in.

Beatea

Hello, my name is Bea and I'm a brand new member from Norfolk, UK. At this moment in time I am a PhD student who is working on old legal manuscripts, and I seriously love it. In between research, writing and learning Latin I love to play video games and horror media.

I'll admit I am completely new to model making, as in, I've never made one before. I found I was getting so caught up in work that I needed some kind of creative output, something non-academic and FUN for my own sanity more than anything, and when I got to thinking about the kind of project I wanted to do, I got to thinking about how amazingly cool the cars from the Mad Max films are and how I want to make those kinds of things...but smaller. I really love the idea of taking a car, and thinking 'ok how do I turn this into a post apocalyptic war machine'. So I started researching kits, and found pictures and blogs of people doing 'kit bashing', and decided to jump right in and see what happens. 

So, this is why I have joined this forum. I am new, I have barely any equipment, and will make a hundred mistakes and more, but I hope there are kind and friendly people here who can help me along the way, and you never know, I may even get half good at this down the line! I was thinking of making a post of my first project as I go along, but wasn't sure if it belonged in the car section or the sci-if section?

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to posting more. 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard.

I'm new here myself. I'm finding all kinds of good stuff dotted around the place. There's bound to be things of interest to you somewhere.

If it's your first crack at a kit, start small and work up. That saves you getting in over your head on something expensive.

Mistakes are bound to happen, let them. Get some paint on your favourite shirt, glue your fingers together, loose bits that were there a minute ago and maybe even slice your fingers a time or two, it's all part of the apprenticeship!

I thought I would eventually grow out of this model building thing, not a hope!

Tony. 

Welcome Aboard Bea .. welcome to Britmodeller and welcome to modeling in general. My advice is buy only what you need to complete your kit. Then add to it with each new kit, add only the specific paints or other materials/tools you will need. It seems like a slow process but it accrues faster than you think. That way you aren't laying a large sum of $. Also you don't have a lot of materials not being used and taking up space. HTH.

Dennis

Welcome to the forum, Bea!

I only have one piece of advice, we'll maybe two: this is supposed to be a hobby so have fun and don't take it too seriously.

If you are into kit-bashing futuristic sci-fi vehicles, it is amazing what canot be done with 'greeblies' (I'm told this is the actual technical term) derived from various other kits. For example, the original Star Wars Millenium Falcon studio models had recognisable parts from the Airfix Saturn V and various tank and car kits on it, as did many of the other vehicles in the movie. The only limit is your imagination, and the only person you need to please is yourself.

Looking forward to seeing what you create.

Russ (who's already been there and done that with the Ph.D. thing - Aero Engineering)

2 hours ago, Beatea said:

and will make a hundred mistakes and more,

Hello Bea and welcome.

The part of your thread which I quoted could fit any one of us on here!

This is a really friendly and helpful site and I think it is fair to say that you can have fun here.

I've been sticking bits of plastic together for over 50 years and still learn something new nearly every time I log on here.

Richard

Thank you thank you, what kind responses! I have started on my first project and am already hunting around e bay for some bigger wheels, and puzzling out when and where I prime as I'm putting the bare bones of my model together. I'll post a project thread soon.

Hello Bea and welcome to Britmodeller.

No matter what your particular modelling taste or skill level, you'll find lots of friendly advice within the forums, just never be afraid to ask. 

No matter what your project is, good luck with it and remember that the enjoyment is the important thing.