This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

AMB

Dick Ward

I regret I am the bearer of very sad news that Richard (Dick) Leask Ward died early yesterday morning (Sunday) following a short illness. 

I first met Dick in 1965 at the RNAS Yeovilton Air Day where he was displaying the gigantic "History of Air Power" model collection with Alan Hall and Dave Cook and have been good friends with him ever since. Dick was the force behind ModelDecal, designing and producing a great range of quality decals for the 1/72 military aircraft modeller.

He published several modelling reference books, as well as photos over the years for various worldwide publications.  A great loss to the modelling community who will be much missed.

R.I.P.

Your good friend,

Adrian  

Modeldecals were what got me back into modelling aircraft  in the early 80's and for that I will be forever grateful. I met him a couple of times an d unlike some of my other modelling heroes from that time he did not have feet of clay.

R. I. P. Gone far too soon, but not forgotten in this modellers heart.

My first ever after market purchases were some Modeldecal sheets (I think including the shark-mouthed 16 Squadron Canberra).  Beautifully, but simply, presented, clear instructions, helpful additional information and beautifully printed.  A Godsend to modellers of (mainly) British post-war military aircraft.  I only acquired another two sheets last week for some RAF Phantom markings courtesy of the good offices of a friend from The Blenheim Society.

As Silver Fox said, gone too soon but gratefully remembered.  R.I.P.

Oh, sad, sad news. Dick Ward was one of the doyens of aircraft modelling in the seventies and eighties, a true master of presenting the information a modeller wanted in a simple and accurate manner. If Dick said it was so, it invariably was. Modeldecals were the gold standard for the time, my regret was he never did them in 1/48th but I still bought them for the information they contained.

A great loss but a worthy member of the Modellers Hall of Fame.

Blue skies Dick.

Saddened to read this news. I've always admired his Modeldecal and still feel they're amongst the best produced.

Another pillar of our modelling community gone.

Like many others here, his were the first modelling accessories I bought. The attention to detail was eye opening. As an example I had markings for a 16 Sqn Canberra B.(I)8 and the instructions revealed that the letters and numbers for the serial on the nose wheel door were different sizes. That attention to detail was a revelation.

Trevor

After years of using and being inspired by his decals, I had the privilege of working with Dick at RAF Benson when he was developing the sheet for the Revell Merlin HC3.  I subsequently met and talked to him at several SMWs, where he was invariably pleasant and helpful.  A true gentleman, and he will be much missed.

Tim

Very saddened to hear this. I was a lover of all the Modeldecal sets and at one time had the complete range.  His profile art work also appeared in the Osprey AirCam series of books. As with all others  here, he will be sadly missed.

RIP.

It was with great sadness that I heard of Dick's passing early yesterday afternoon. I had known Dick for well over 30 years and I'm fortunate to have shared many a social and modelling conversation with him. He was a true pioneer and even if you might not have used Modeldecal products then he designed the kit decals for most of the  old 'big three' kit companies at some time. A knowledgeable and true enthusiast and a gentleman of the the old school. 

He will be forever "Dickie Decal" to some of  us.

John

14 minutes ago, Paul J said:

His profile art work also appeared in the Osprey AirCam series of books. 

RIP.

Sorry but there were TWO 'Richard Wards' and were often confused. The Osprey profiles were done by a different Richard Ward and afterwards 'ours' was known as 'Dick'!

This is sad news and I can only re-iterate what has already been said.

21 minutes ago, AMB said:

Sorry but there were TWO 'Richard Wards' and were often confused. The Osprey profiles were done by a different Richard Ward and afterwards 'ours' was known as 'Dick'!

My last conversation with him was about that fact (and I was just an occasional correspondent) - he said that's why he started to use Richard L Ward or Richard Leask Ward. Always hoped to meet him one day, but sadly that wasn't to be.

Very sad news, I have just been using some Modeldecals on a Sea Hawk and still have quite a few sheets. I met Dick a few times and he was a real gentleman. His decals helped me up my modelling game in the late 70's

Great chap will be missed greatly by the modelling community, and even more I am sure by his family and close friends.

Thanks Dick for all the great memories and products that you had a hand in.

Ali

What they said. 

Modeldecals started me on the  slippery slope of mail order modelling. I first saw them the Modeltoys ads in Airfix Magazine in the '60s (they would get here a couple of months after you lot had them) and decided I had to have some. In those days that meant sending off a letter with a list of wants and a couple of IRCs (remember them?), waiting about two months for a reply, getting a bank draft and posting it back and waiting another two months for the goodies. It proved to be more than worth it, and I ended up owning at least one example of most Modeldecal sheets. They're still among the best aftermarket decals around, and Dick will be sadly missed.

Very sad about this. I was intending to meet Dick at Scale ModelWorld yesterday because we were planning to work on a book project together in the coming weeks.

He will be sadly missed. He was a friend of mine for many years and he helped me with reference and photos for several of my books.

Malcolm V Lowe

Also saddened to hear of Dick's passing.

I never met him but like others have said he was deeply influential in getting me interested in the hobby though his Modedecal range focussed as it was on  British military aircraft.  I collected and carefully filed them away in display books as a reference; coming away with the latest set was always the highlight of a trip to the original Hannants shop in Colindale. Happy days... where has the time gone?

My deepest sympathy to his family and friends at this sad time.

Thanks Dick.

2 hours ago, AMB said:

Aah! Apologies due then. Was unaware of this.

1 hour ago, PVChairman said:

Very sad about this. I was intending to meet Dick at Scale ModelWorld yesterday because we were planning to work on a book project together in the coming weeks.

He will be sadly missed. He was a friend of mine for many years and he helped me with reference and photos for several of my books.

Malcolm V Lowe

Dick was taken into hospital the week before Telford and said at the time he didn't think he would be out in time for SMW, which he always attended. Alas he was right. 

With Alan Hall and Dave Cook, they presented the RAF section of their "History of Air Power" model collection to the Queen at Abingdon in June 1968 for the RAF's 50th Anniversary. Dick was so looking forward to the RAF's 100th Anniversary celebrations next year, but sadly didn't quite make it.  

3 minutes ago, AMB said:

Dick was taken into hospital the week before Telford and said at the time he didn't think he would be out in time for SMW, which he always attended. Alas he was right. 

With Alan Hall and Dave Cook, they presented the RAF section of their "History of Air Power" model collection to the Queen at Abingdon in June 1968 for the RAF's 50th Anniversary. Dick was so looking forward to the RAF's 100th Anniversary celebrations next year, but sadly didn't quite make it.  

Thanks Adrian,

This is all very saddening. Dick was a real star and we will all miss him.

Malcolm.

It was very upsetting to hear this sad news in the last hour or so of SMW 2017. The news went around the halls very quickly.

I had known of Dick for decades, mainly through his Modeldecal range of sheets (which were - and still are - a great resource for modellers). Over the past ten years or so, I got to know Dick personally, chiefly because both he and I were/are members of Farnborough IPMS and we often had nice long chats at our regular monthly meetings.

For a few years, a contingent of Farnborough IPMS would travel to Telford in a hired minibus and invariably I would find myself sitting next to Dick for the journey up from Hampshire. Again, we would have long chats about his modelling activities over the decades. I learned an awful lot about the history of IPMS, especially its early days, and also the story of Modeldecal and the other decal designing commissions Dick received from the major kit manufacturers of the 70s and 80s. It was fascinating stuff.

It was also through Dick that I learned of the World Air Power model display (which travelled all over the UK and Europe - often courtesy of RAF Hercules) in the 60 and 70s. I was delighted when the exhibition found a permanent place of display at the Farnborough Air Science Trust in Farnborough (although its not on display at the moment as the room in which it was laid out is being refurbished).

It was also through Dick that I was introduced to David Howley, who's name was also very familiar to me as he provided lots or artwork and side drawings for his Modeldecal sheets and the Warpaint series of books. Dick thought that David and I would get on as David was Irish - and he was right.

Sadly, both Dick and David are now gone. The founders of our hobby are gradually fading away now which is sad but they have left a great legacy. 

Edited by Eric Mc
spelling errors

As a young boy in a foreign land in the heyday of Modeldecal I never met Dick personally, however his work had a strong impact even in my part of the world ! His work was pioneering, Modeldecal sheets had an attention to details that even many more recent and celebrated brands fail to display. When growing up as a modeller I found his name more and more often, I realised that he really was one of the great "fathers" of this hobby. He will be missed by the whole modelling community worldwide.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends ! RIP

Being also from a land far far away, I never had the pleasure of meeting Dick, however grew up in an era when Modeldecals were highly sort after for both their extensive decal range and excellent reference material. It would only be fitting to honor him with a celebratory "Modeldecal" Group Build for all that he has done to educate each and everyone of us in this great hobby.

My sincere condolences to his family and those who knew him well.

Cheers.. Dave  

Very sad news indeed , the modelling world owes Dick a great debt,

Thank you for enabling me to complete so many models in wonderful schemes just when i was beginning to take the hobby seriously , 

May you rest in peace,

Sincere condolences to his Family