1/32 Buchon conversion kit design

As a teenager I was a fanatic scale modeller, but when I bought my first PC in the mid-'90s my scale modelling was pushed to the background as I focused more on my illustrator ambitions. I always intended to return to scale modelling and last year I made some initial steps by illustrating a couple of box tops for Tan Model (1/48 RF-84F re-release and 1/72 T-33A Limited Edition kits). Currently I'm taking it one step further as I'm in the process of designing an actual scale model conversion kit. It's a commission by Spitfire display pilot Espen Tjetland from Norway, who is a great fan of the Buchons in the "Battle of Britain" movie. This kit will allow conversion of a 1/32 Hasegawa Messerschmitt Bf 109 G kit into an accurate Buchon. Both "Battle of Britain" movie star and Spanish Air Force variants are planned, as well as other models and other scales in the long run. 3D photo scanning, measurements of actual aircraft and Me 109 engineering plans are used to ensure absolute accuracy and to capture the Buchon's iconic grin (love it or hate it!).

Work-in-progress on the 3D design:

Buchon_wip02a.jpg

Buchon_wip02b.jpg

Buchon_wip02c.jpg

Buchon_wip02c_wire.jpg

Buchon_wip02d.jpg

Buchon_wip02e.jpg

Pre-prototype 3D prints of the first major parts for test-fitting against the donor kit. The final printing quality will be of higher quality. Prints and photos by SBS Model from Hungary.

Buchon_pre-prototype_01a.jpg

Buchon_pre-prototype_01b.jpg

Buchon_pre-prototype_01c.jpg

More to come!

Cheers,

Ronnie Olsthoorn

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the kind comments!

Meanwhile a little progress has been made. Some extra parts, including four different spinner designs (more to come still!).

Buchon_wip03a.jpg

Buchon_wip03b.jpg

Buchon_wip03c.jpg

Buchon_wip03d.jpg

Buchon_wip03e.jpg

From left to right, the spinners are a special design for the Battle of Britain movie Buchons (3-bladed), a Spitfire Mk IX spinner converted for the same with a fake cannon port, the same spinner but adapted for a three-bladed prop and a default Spitfire spinner, as used by Spanish Buchons. More updates in the new year.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Good grief, has it really been a year?

Well, good news: the 1/32 Buchon conversion set is now available! I've received my complimentary copy and I was blown away by the quality of the resin casting (done by SBS Hungary). The detail is excellent! Some of it is so fine, I needed a magnifying glass to appreciate it.

https://www.facebook.com/AttitudeAviationAs/ - use the "shop now" button and the seller will be in contact.

Or go directly to this form.

The kit was designed with the Hasegawa 1/32 donor kit in mind, but modellers have found it to be equally adaptable to the more commonly available, and cheaper, Revell kit. I've read some of the detail on the Revell kis is better than on the older Hasegawa one, and the weakest area of that kit, the nose, is replaced anyway.

46995990_1972881306135828_47675592893613

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Reviewed by James Hatch on Hyperscale and Large Scale Modeller.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/accessories/aasbuc32002reviewjh_1.htm

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/6167-132-hispano-ha-1112-m1l-conversion-for-hasegawarevell-bf-109g-246/

NB. Parts for Spanish models are currently in production by SBS.