1/72 hasegawa MiG-23MLDG

• 2 weeks later...

sooo....bit of a change of tack: since i couldn't really settle on a scheme, i decided to convert the hasegawa kit to a previous project i attempted with a zvezda kit: a Mig-23MLDG!

Mig-23MLDG(23-57)

3 aircraft acquired systems developed for mig-29 to increase combat ability and survivability; however, it was decided to concentrate on development of the mig-29, and these aircraft remained an eclectic sub-variant.

the main features of the Mig-23MLDG are:

Shelm HMS cueing system, used in conjunction with the R-73 

- SPO-15 Beyroza RWR was fitted

- "Gardeniya" Jammer was also fitted internally to increase survivability.

- Radar Remained the N003 though there is some indication it recieved some improvement

One of these aircraft was left at Sary-shagan in Kazakhstan in a derelict state - (presumably was being used for trials, and testing in conjunction with the extensive radar/sam facilities at the site) and features the colourful markings of the: "1st AE 99 Guards Transbaikalian Orapa 1076 CAD (Test SAM) defense forces"

image%20(2)-M.jpgimage%20(4)-M.jpgDetails-M.jpg

• Like 2

starting with the nose; ive tried to create a better shape with a plasticard plug  and lots of superglue and putty:

DSCN5270-XL.jpg

I wasn't completely happy with the IP - luckily i had an old eduard panel i used instead of the kit part, ill still need to build the upper part with the HUD:

DSCN5272-XL.jpg

luckily i've kept a few parts from zvezda kits over the years.....Drilled out some holes for the proper R-23 launch rails:

DSCN5274-XL.jpg

Begun the task if reshaping the LERX with a dogtooth:

DSCN5275-XL.jpg

The kit has some basic blocks to help properly align the wing swivel mechanism , i decided i wanted to make it a bit more fitting, so thickened the swivel joint and corrisponding parts on the kit, and now the wings can move smoothely and mantain alignment ( though will probably make these static later on in the build:

DSCN5276-L.jpg

• Like 2

for the specific MLDG parts, i stuck a bit of luck from digging around in my spares whcih i can use for the Gardeniya jammer antena:

46-L.jpg

...and for the decals, i lucked out that the decograph had the same unit on their excellent mig-23ub sheet!! :penguin:

DSCN5277-L.jpg

• Like 2