A Spitfire – what else…

BIG X

Welcome to my latest completed ‘masterpiece’.  :mental:

I use the term very loosely as I’m still relatively new to all this – but I learn something new everyday – and usually from the good folks on here.

It’s the Spitfire MKIA in 1/72 from good old Airfix.  I built it OOB apart from the exhausts and decals – but more about that in a moment.  I did a WIP thread – not because I can teach you anything – but so you guys and gals can look over my shoulder and teach me as I go along.  :clap2:

So what did I learn on this build…

• This kit is really well detailed for the size and if you are looking to build one – it goes together really well too.
  • Thus was a ‘mojo build’ by the way and this kit certainly ticks that box.
  • As detailed as it is – it doesn’t have an ‘actuator’ – and I didn’t even know what one was – but I now know how to make one out of 0.5mm evergreen rod.
  • I’m getting better at filling and sanding – I’ve learned patience.
  • Gunport decals can be fiddly – but they are REALLY FIDDLY at 1/72.
  • Don’t spend hours on your kit exhausts trying to make them look ‘real’ – unless you put them somewhere safe – I ‘lost’ mine along the way, but luckily had resin ones to substitute.  They look great – to me – but so did the kit ones.
  • I still need to work on my camo painting technique – as I went way too heavy on the dark green in an effort to avoid too much ‘blending’ between it and the dark earth – as it is such a small scale – for me.
  • I used Hannants BoB decals and was able to find lots of pictures of the real aircraft – which was brilliant for reference.
  • I had the usual ‘fingerprint’ problems – but got past them this time – so I’m pleased about that.
  • I think I’m going off Montex masks – they are too stiff and leave too much residue behind – problem is I’ve got a box full.
  • Aerial masts on Spitfires aren’t black – as I’ve always done them in the past.
  • Not all Spitfires need an aerial wire from the tail to the mast – result (phew too).
  • I still can’t do exhaust smoke stains for toffee – must practice some more on this one.
  • My gun smoke isn’t much better – but I’ll get there.
  • A cheap £25 airbrush is actually great for varnishing – result.
  • I should use a bamboo skewer through the nose to stop me touching the model – no not ‘my nose’ – the nose of the model.
  • Finally – when it comes to panel lines – ‘less is more’ – so I promise to be more restrained in the future.
  • I DEFINITELY need a decent set up to photograph my ‘masterpieces’ – a camera phone and some black card inside the paint booth doesn’t really cut the mustard.

Anyway – enough of the waffle – here she is – I hope you like her…

05_B.jpg

06_B.jpg

07_B.jpg

08_B.jpg

09_B.jpg

10_B.jpg

11_B.jpg

12_B.jpg

13_B.jpg

14_B.jpg

15_B.jpg

If you are ‘really’ interested – you can find the WIP thread here…

…as is usual for me there were a few ‘ups and downs’ along the way – but all good fun and it will definitely give you a laugh.  :lol:

Finally, if you like it – you can ‘like’ it – there are some buttons over there > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

As always – constructive comments or questions are most welcome.  Thanks for looking – Steve

• Like 48

If you were wondering what the ‘real thing’ looked like here are some pictures…

QVI_01.jpg

QVI_02.jpg

QVI_03.jpg

QVI_04.jpg

QVI_05.jpg

You can’t be a REAL SPITFIRE.

• Like 3

I don’t know about you, but for me the brave men who flew the aircraft are more important than the aircraft themselves – so here are some pictures of Sergeant Bernard 'Jimmy' Jennings of No 19 Squadron – the pilot of QV-I.

bj_01.jpg

1st_left.jpg

On the wing (left to right) are Brian Lane, ‘Grumpy’ Unwin and Francis Brinsden – with Flash the Alsatian and Rangy the Spaniel. In front of the wing are Bernard Jennings, Colin MacFie, Howard Burton, Philip Leckrone

extreme_right.jpg

Jennings is on the extreme right with other members of 19sqn at Manor Farm – which was Fowlmere aerodrome – a satellite of Duxford – 12 group.

4th_right.jpg

19sqn pilots with Jennings at 4th from the right – having fun with a mock scramble for the press cameras…

4th_right_2.jpg

All the above pictures were taken on 21st September 1940 – more or less at the height of the fighting and though these men were taking their lives in their hands everyday – that Battle of Britain spirit of camaraderie is very evident.

Thank you Gentlemen.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Learstang said:

Very nice job! It is a nice little kit, isn't it? I have two on the build right now. Yours looks properly weathered without looking overused.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason - I agree a smashing little Spitfire kit - I have another in the stash and may well hit ALDI next Sunday for a few more on this offer that's going - I need the practice :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work BIG X 👍 ... Great build too thanks for letting me tag along.

Cheers Uncle - I rely on you guys tagging along to keep me in check - and it works - well most of the time :whistle:

• Like 1

Sooooooperb!

as others have said a great wip too - picked up some great tips following this build.

imho i don't think the panel lines look overdone.  

To my eyes this looks more like 1/48.

great job mate! 👍

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Sooooooperb!

as others have said a great wip too - picked up some great tips following this build.

imho i don't think the panel lines look overdone.  

great job mate! 👍

Cheers my furry friend - I can always count on you to make me feel good about things.  If you picked up anything good - it's only because I stole it from someone else ;)

11 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

To my eyes it looks 'real' - but you don't know how bad my eyes are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - ouch I think I pulled a muscle...

I'm not very happy with the canopy myself - I always seem to put too much paint on - what do you think???

OK - I've spent the evening pondering what to batter next - all Airfix 1/72 options...

• Hurricane
  • Gladiator

...or another Spit - any suggestions as to which is the most fun???

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to A Spitfire – what else…
18 hours ago, BIG X said:

OK - I've spent the evening pondering what to batter next - all Airfix 1/72 options...

• Hurricane
  • Gladiator

109 or Gladiator. Not sure I'd call the Hurricane 'fun'. Assuming you mean the 1/72 fabric winged one.

John.

• Haha 1

As Spitfire is my favorite plane....can not be objective fully :)

You done a great job on this small jewel, and give to us many good points to take care during future builds, thanks for that.

Only what i will do different is ....not use dark wash for lower panel lines, as they are already very deep, i will use little darker basic color. Everything else...i will try to copy :)

Again, great build

Best regards Djordje

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oldone said:

Looks good, Its nice to see your spitfire all finished. Im sure if Sergeant Bernard 'Jimmy' Jennings Could see it he would love it, You have done it proud for him.

👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BIG X said:

• Hurricane
  • Gladiator

Gladiator for sure!!

• Like 1