Warships as desktop pattern

KRK4m

When trying to re-arrange my 1/700 waterline collection in new cabinet I have gathered the topside view silhouettes of the biggest 20th Century battleship/battlecruiser classes. Then the idea arose to use these silhouettes as the desktop pattern/screen wallpaper. Feel free to use it if you like it - the picture proportions are close to 2:1, so you can still leave some dozen icons in horizontal row above them (on a black stripe added for example) without disturbing the warship gallery.

battles

The picture covers 30 largest (exceeding 32000 ton displacement in one point of their history) battleship and battlecruiser classes - ranging from the 1913 HMS Queen Mary to the 1946 HMS Vanguard. The horizontal rows show the introduction period (oldest at the top, newest at the bottom) while the position within the row depends on nationality with America on the left, Asia on the right and Europe in the centre.

Of course all the silhouettes are shown in the same scale which makes comparison easy.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
purely cosmetics
  • Like 6

Being unable to choose my favourite one (battleships shown above vs. flattops featured in the Cold War section) I decided to make the composite desktop wallpaper. The proportions are still close to 2:1 and all the silhouettes are shown in the same scale for comparison purposes. The horizontal rows show the introduction period (pre-1921 at the top, post-1990 at the bottom) while the position within the row depends on nationality with America on the left, Asia on the right and Europe in the centre.

mixt

Now the picture covers 40 largest (exceeding 35 000 ton displacement) warship classes - ranging from the 1914 HMS Queen Elizabeth to her 2017 namesake. It’s incredible how the US supercarriers have dwarfed such past giants as Bismarck or even Yamato…  

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
purely cosmetics
  • Like 3