Phantom FGR2

delticfan

Assuming it may take a year or more to issue the FGR2 version of the Airfix Phantom how straightforward is a homemade conversion. I’m not sure if the sprues contain any FGR 2 parts, am I right in thinking all that is required are tailplanes with no slats and nose wheel doors with various lamps. A bit of filler should sort the slats out and it should be easy to drill out the lamps. Thoughts?

It really depends on how fussy you are, I would be quite happy to build an FGR.2 from an FG.1 boxing.

The new Airfix kit will have the compressed nosewheel leg and this is more than passable as an FGR.2 leg in 72nd. 

Nosewheel door easy to rectify as you mentioned by filling in the three deck approach lights, and I think the aerial may have varied, but maybe that was an in service modification?

The catapult hook depressions will need to be filled over, unless the replacement panels are in the kit, no biggy either way.

There are differences in the panel work on the leading edge of the fin, and some very minor in the rear fuselage, most won't notice, but you could fill and rescribe if thought to be necessary.

There was an underside strap fitted over the belly and wing (up to the outer wing portions) undersides, it looks like the new kit will have this option in the box.

The tailplane slats is the biggest issue, I've never looked into doing this and I think I would sand and fill to get the smooth leading edge.  The other way around would be harder mind.

You could always build XV420 which had an FG.1 tailplane fitted during the late 1980s!

Edited by 71chally

Thanks for the advice all, doesn’t sound too much of an issue to do an FGR2. Going to have a go at a couple of FG1s first. I picked up a good mag at WH Smith’s yesterday called British Phantoms, a few errors in it but overall very good. A nice article on XV422 the “Jag Killer”, remembered that one from when I was a kid although not much info was available then, seems quite amusing now but I bet it wasn’t for those involved!

My Two pennies if i may. You could use the Fg.1 straight out of the box couldn't you ? If doing either #43 or #111 Sq. RAF ? They both operated the Fg.1 in the early 70’s and thru the 80’s ? Unless my research and extra decals sets are incorrect ?

I understand the thread is about modifying the Fg. Into an Fgr.2 but im merely pointing out that its an option.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

As regards the slats on the tailplanes , the real thing was just attached to the front of a standard tailplane , so the best way to convert would be to trim the slats off and sand the leading edge of the tailplane smooth . I did it to an Academy F-4J recently and it was simple and successful .

John Green 

Nantwich, Cheshire 

• Like 2

Not sure if it was a test model that Airfix had on display at Telford, but the louvres on the top and bottom of the intakes were absent, so that may need addressing. Also, if building an early FGR2 the strengthening strips on the wing fold area and under the fuselage were not there, likewise the small ones on the stabilators. HTH  :cheers:

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 1

I was given to understand at Telford that FGR.2 parts are in the FG.1 boxing, but cannot confirm that until my greasy mitts start rubbing plastic. Either way, as has been said, the differences are not difficult. In a way it is better that the FG.1 comes first as the tailplanes are easier to change that way.

There were no strengthening (arrow) plates fitted to the FG.1 and FGR.2 stabs, so that is accurate.

The underwing strengthening plates were also fitted to the F-4S, and some strengthening added to other marks as well.

The main thing to watch for, the RAF FG.1's at some time (not sure when) had the lower nose leg extending link disabled. The link was still fitted though.

Hope this helps

Ted

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Not sure if it was a test model that Airfix had on display at Telford, but the louvres on the top and bottom of the intakes were absent, so that may need addressing. Also, if building an early FGR2 the strengthening strips on the wing fold area and under the fuselage were not there, likewise the small ones on the stabilators. HTH  :cheers:

I was told that the louvres would be decals so it has not been retooled.

Robert

On zondag 12 november 2017 at 9:29 PM, delticfan said:

A nice article on XV422 the “Jag Killer”, remembered that one from when I was a kid although not much info was available then, seems quite amusing now but I bet it wasn’t for those involved!

AJag Killer option is included on the very nice AirDOC RAFG Phantom sheet:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1901-2000/rev1901-AirDOC-adm48007/00.shtm

Happy hunting, though, this sheet seems rather rare at the moment.

Cheers,

Andre

10 hours ago, Hook said:

AJag Killer option is included on the very nice AirDOC RAFG Phantom sheet:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1901-2000/rev1901-AirDOC-adm48007/00.shtm

Happy hunting, though, this sheet seems rather rare at the moment.

Cheers,

Andre

Wow!   Surely that sheet has to be reissued with the Airfix release?!

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

Wow!   Surely that sheet has to be reissued with the Airfix release?!

I've never heard of AirDOC reprinting a sheet once sold out, unfortunately - heres hoping for everyone who missed out.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

As others have said the FG1 to FGR2 conversion isn't a difficult one to do.

Sand off the slot on the stabilator, fill the catapult hook recesses under the inner leading edge of the wing, cut off the second scissor link (the one between the nose wheels) and fill the 'traffic lights' on the fwd landing gear door. The rear cockpit also needs attention as the port side panel was quite different on the FGR2 IIRC

Duncan B

Funnily enough I have just braved the loft to see what I do have in the way of UK Phantoms; 3 F-4Ms, 1 Alcock and Browne special, 2 f-4Ks, 2 FG-1s and only 1 FGR-2. One of the FG-1s is going to be converted to an FGR-2 to be be a red tail 92 squadron a/c. Whch sort of squares the circle on this discussion. (oh - about 40 Esci F-4s too)

• Like 1