RAF Hercules

Lord Riot

Morning all

Is it still possible to get a 1/72 Herc kit that can be built almost OOB as an RAF Herc from the 70s to 90s period?

There seem to be a few American ones but are they suitable to build as a C-130K?

There are several aftermarket engine sets available both for the -J and the -K, as Italeri chose to stick with the -A engines on all their kits.

Note that the engines should be in line with each other, not as Italeri decided.

As has been mentioned many times, it is about time a nice accurate 1/72nd Herc was released by a mainstream model manufacturer.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, perdu said:

Engines

at the weekend in 'A place in Shropshire' a Hercules ex-pilot forcibly reminded me that no Hercules model from any place has the right engines

Shillelagh type forcibly reminded by any chance?

IN-dubitably

Normal no compromise

"The engines on every C-130 model in this building are wrong, if that gunship was based on C-130A it wouldn't be too bad!"

Unquote...

I was near one of the USAF model displays at the time

😨

• Like 1

On 13/11/2017 at 11:05 PM, perdu said:

Engines

at the weekend in 'A place in Shropshire' a Hercules ex-pilot forcibly reminded me that no Hercules model from any place has the right engines

:wicked: I know of whom you speak!!!! Have you heard the one about the EX Jindivik? :whistle:

• Confused 1

Are we sitting comfortably? then I'll begin!

Imagine if you will, flight deck of a Nimrod, AIM 9 under the wing,

no sight as such, just a little flippy up perspex square with a cross drawn on, targeting is boresight!

Target is a flare being towed by a Jindivik drone, you come up astern, hit the button, ' cos the 'Boss' is giving you grief to fire and get out, Fox 2 is the shout, away goes the missile, tracking all the way, right up to it missing the flare and making a VERY

ex Jindivik! Boss will NEVER let you forget it either 👿 😁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

But

But

but I thought the Jindivik was supposed to be the target...

Ah I bet more thought was later given to sighting 9Ms betterly

Or not using that  crew member to play Fighter ace again, I wonder who the unfortunate one is?

Will we ever discover 'who was it'?

:)

14 hours ago, perdu said:

But

But

but I thought the Jindivik was supposed to be the target...

Ah I bet more thought was later given to sighting 9Ms betterly

Or not using that  crew member to play Fighter ace again, I wonder who the unfortunate one is?

Will we ever discover 'who was it'?

:)

WHAT??? Destroy a drone?  just be grateful they had an AIM 9 spare!

Fighter 'Ace'? If, of who we speak reads this, the reaction will be :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

it still amazes me that there isn't a reasonably accurate new tool 72nd Herc.

You and I along with another 10 billion modelers.

The Hercules is such a historically significant aircraft flown by so many countries, I can’t believe there isn’t a new tooling of a Hercules.

• Like 2

I have worked on these beasts for the last 20 years,and I recon that the fuselage of the original airfix kit has a better shape of the kits out there,one will still need to replace the engines though.The ramp will need the elephant ear fairings added too.

• Like 1