Most suitable 1/35 Panther for Normandy campaign?

DaveJL

Hello all

I'm hoping to build a 1/35 Tamiya Panther in the New Year and would like to depict this during the Normandy Campaign in 1944. Which Tamiya boxing would be most suitable?

Ausf D

Ausf G early

Ausf G late

Ausf G steel wheel

Would these have been fitted with Zimmerit during this time frame?

Cheers

Dave

Can't say its the most suitable, as there were only a few, most certainly zimmerited, but yes, there were some Ausf.D, with those units:

- I. / 24 ( 116. Panzer-Division ), with a good number of D 

- I. / SS-Panzer-Regiment 12, a few tanks

- I. / 6 ( Panzer-Lehr-Division ), possibly some

- I. / 3 ( 2. Panzer-Division ), possibly some

Really a stretch if it has to be Tamiya and Normandy. While some 'D' models were still around, the 'G' did not even enter into production until May 1944, just before the invasion. The Panther 'A' would have been the iconic variant of the Normandy battles. And Tamiya does not have a modern kit of this variant. The Tamiya 'A' is an elderly carpet crawler relic of the 70s. Dragon makes a good version of the 'A', even in a 'Normandy' boxing, kit 6168. If you want a modern, typical, Normandy Panther, that is the kit you want. It's a little pricey and out of production, but can still be found out there. 

• Like 1

Yes, as others have already posted,  the A type would be most prominent during Normandy battles.   I've come across a couple D's via photo evidence, but I'd only build that if it is already in the stash and you don't want to make another purchase, or you want something unique.     

Yes to zimmerit, it was factory applied until September 1944.

No to all steel roadwheels,  this was introduced into production September 1944.

------------------------------------------

I don't have exact types listed for the particular reference book I'm looking at - you will have to look up the unit, or if someone else knows offhand.  Here is a list of units that had a full compliment of Panthers,  which were always assigned to the 1st battalion:

June 1944:

2nd Panzer Div.             

(130th) Panzer Lehr Div.    

9th SS Panzer Div.         

12th SS Panzer Div.      

July:

116th Panzer Div.

1st SS Panzer Div.

2nd SS Panzer Div.

August:

9th Panzer Div.

11th Panzer Div.

Probably too much info here, but this site lists individually the allocation of Panther types to the units straight from the factory only:

http://www.panther1944.de/index.php/en/sdkfz-171-pzkpfwg-panther/geschichte-25553

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

Thanks chaps, I haven't purchased a kit just yet - Tamiya is my preferred maker in 1/35, as I don't build too many. I could always model a later Panther with Zimmerit. I'd wanted to build something for the Normandy campaign, but could maybe try a Panzer IV for that. What variant of that would be most suitable?

Mostly the J version, but the H was present too. 

Looking at Tamiya, I'd go with the J version as it is their most recent tool, and decals include Normandy options:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/103476-tamiya-35181-panzerkampfwagen-iv-ausf-j-sd-kfz-161-2

Only problem is, it should have zimmerit but Tamiya did not include this in their molds.  They did release a premium kit that was packaged with Eduard zim:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/133221-tamiya-35262-pz-kpfw-iv-ausf-j-w-pe-zimmerit

regards,

Jack

In short time may be released new kits from Takom and Meng  - and minimal Meng prepare a new tool kit of "A" version.

My advice - wait for this new kits. (Takom was with full interior kit.)