Challenger 2 1st RTR Salisbury - DIORAMA UPDATE !!

Etienne

It looks like you snuck into the depot and grabbed some pics of the real thing, you can't just pass those off on us as a model.

Excellent, and you know how to handle that camera, beautiful pictures.  Keep them coming Etienne.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Superb work Etienne.

At first I thought you'd hardly weathered it at all, but subsequent photos showed how wrong I was. There's actually a hell of a lot of weathering going on there, but it's so subtle in places it's hard to spot at first glance.

I LOVE that 'blistered, about to peel, paint over rust' look, especially on the turret. That is SO realistic. What substance did you apply to create that texture?'

Reargaurds,

Badder

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments B)

1 hour ago, Badder said:

At first I thought you'd hardly weathered it at all, but subsequent photos showed how wrong I was. There's actually a hell of a lot of weathering going on there, but it's so subtle in places it's hard to spot at first glance.

I LOVE that 'blistered, about to peel, paint over rust' look, especially on the turret. That is SO realistic. What substance did you apply to create that texture?'

Thanks Badder ... with time, I realized that weathering was a very interesting step of a build and that often less is more ... now I prefer keeping weathering lighter but more detailed with tonal variations ans textures ... then it stays realistic, even when relatively strong.

About the texture under the paint ... in fact, the paint is applied over the antislip coating (I used the True Earth product, as it's very rough on british tanks), it's what give this "blistered" effect and it's not really intended to reproduce rust under paint, but gives me the idea for futur projects :huh:

Cheers, E

5 minutes ago, Etienne said:

About the texture under the paint ... in fact, the paint is applied over the antislip coating (I used the True Earth product, as it's very rough on british tanks), it's what give this "blistered" effect and it's not really intended to reproduce rust under paint, but gives me the idea for futur projects :huh:

Ah, right. I only do WWII armour so I don't really know which modern vehicles have anti-slip and which don't. But yes, it does look like paint over rust as well. I look forward to seeing your attempt at a 'repainted rust bucket'

Rearguards,

Badder

11 hours ago, Widow 65 said:

Absolutely fantastic work Etienne...nice to see Challenger 2 not belonging to the Scots DG!!!!

I'm glad you like this chinese eyes Chally B) 

Anyway, because I wanted a late type Challenger, with Bowman aerials and specific access panels on the turret, it could only be RTR (or King's Royal Hussars) if I'm right ... as the Scots Dragoon Guards don't have Challys anymore ;) ... furthermore, my KFOR Challenger was of course Scots DG.

E

Edited by Etienne

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice Chally Etienne. Now if you are wondering what to build next, how about a change and do a Sherman?

John.

Hello John,

I'll keep Shermans for 2018 ... first I have to finish my barracuda camoed CV90-40c and then I'll have two Leopard tanks on the bench, a swedish Strv 122 and a danish Leopard 2 A5DK from our north-european neighbours.

Don' t worry about Shermans, the virus is slowly making its nest ... still have to decide which versions (probably a Normandy Firefly and an Iwo Jima USMC tank with a very special "surprise" display). However, as I know next to nothing about Shermans models, I need to learn before launching the projects.

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne

1 hour ago, Etienne said:

(probably a Normandy Firefly and an Iwo Jima USMC tank with a very special "surprise" display).

Good choice. There were some very colourful Shermans used by both the USMC and the US army in the Pacific. But whatever you decide, it looks like you are going to have a busy itinerary.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Etienne.

The grass is excellent. I like that colour. That green is so much more realistic than the stuff I have. BTW, a bit of plaster dust on those bare earth patches and many would guess it's supposed to be Salisbury Plain.

I hope it goes in the diorama forum when it's been fully upgraded!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Etienne.

The grass is excellent. I like that colour. That green is so much more realistic than the stuff I have. BTW, a bit of plaster dust on those bare earth patches and many would guess it's supposed to be Salisbury Plain.

I hope it goes in the diorama forum when it's been fully upgraded!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

it's a very simple grass mat glued on a insulation foam base and framed with styrene sheets cut to size ... nothing very sophisticated for that first dio but I am planning more elaborated things for 2018 ;)

For this one, I will add a few bushes and dead wood ... perahps a small tree if it fits and of course, some whitish stones and dust to replicate the chalky soil of Salisbury plain B)

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1