Airfix Typhoon 1b markings and armament

SteveJM

Morning All,

Couple of queries regarding the 1:72 Airfix Typhoon 1b (Gift Set version) that I hope somebody can sort out for me. Firstly, are the markings supplied (ZH-Q of 266 Sqn) correct for a 2nd TAF Typhoon in April/May 1944? I was under the impression that the yellow-banded C1 roundel wasn't adopted till '45 but I may well be wrong. Also, would C1 roundels have been used on all surfaces as Airfix imply?

Secondly, I'm building the kit as being rocket armed. Is this correct for 266 Sqn? I'm aware that for practical purposes 2nd TAF squadrons apparently didn't 'mix and match' rockets and bombs but were either one or the other, 198 Sqn being exclusively rocket armed for example. Would I, perhaps, be better off ditching the Airfix decals and getting hold of some aftermarket ones that actually represent a rocket using squadron (assuming such decals exist.)

And lastly a practical question. Paint the plane and decal it before fitting the rocket rails or vice-versa? I only ask because it looks like the under-wing roundel passes slightly under the outermost of the rails and might be a bit of a faff to position once the rail is in place. Advice very welcome.

Thanks very much

Steve

Hi Steve

according to below 266 converted from bombs to rockets, so you may have some leeway to do either. I think the C1 with yellow outline would be correct for fuselage - towards the end of the war I think they did go on the top surfaces too replacing the B roundel.

http://rhodesianheritage.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/

Pat

Not an expert, but I have just looked at this kit in my stash.  Given the black spinner, lack of rear fuse ID band and the aforementioned c-type roundels, I believe this scheme - if correct - would date from post-early January 1945.  I wonder therefore if there's a typo in the description and it should read, "April / May 1945"?

Regards

Martin

Bingo! You must be right Martin. How on Earth could 266 have been stationed in Holland and Germany in April/May '44 (as stated on the box artwork)? The only question that remains is... how did I miss that?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 17:28, SteveJM said:

And while I'm here, anyone know what colour the under-fuselage lamp on a Tiffie should be?

Amber, I believe.

At least I hope so, as that's the colour I used for mine.

John.

Thanks for that John. I'd assumed that it was going to be amber but, as we all know, assumption is the mother of all cock ups.

After much, much time the thing is actually now sitting on the bench in a coat of primer and looking pretty good even if I say so myself. Just got to get the airbrush fixed and then I can get it finished.

Cheers,

Steve

Morning All,

Help! After getting the airbrush fixed and laying on the greys to the upper and lower surfaces, I've just realised that I've got a *ahem* 'spare' part in the shape of a small wedge with moulded louvres which is supposed (according to the instructions) to fasten to the underside just aft of the engine bay/radiator cooling flap. Now, this part has a locating pin but the model appears to have no corresponding hole. So the questions are, what is this part supposed to be and is it needed for an OOB build of the Airfix 1:72 Tiffie 1b?

Supplemental question: the rectangular bulge under the cooling flap should be what colour? I'm assuming Medium Sea Grey as it's part of the general underside but I'm also thinking that it maybe represents the bottom of the Sabre engine and should thus be another colour (Dark Bronze Green perhaps).

As ever, all help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

27 minutes ago, SteveJM said:

Morning All,

Help! After getting the airbrush fixed and laying on the greys to the upper and lower surfaces, I've just realised that I've got a *ahem* 'spare' part in the shape of a small wedge with moulded louvres which is supposed (according to the instructions) to fasten to the underside just aft of the engine bay/radiator cooling flap. Now, this part has a locating pin but the model appears to have no corresponding hole. So the questions are, what is this part supposed to be and is it needed for an OOB build of the Airfix 1:72 Tiffie 1b?

Supplemental question: the rectangular bulge under the cooling flap should be what colour? I'm assuming Medium Sea Grey as it's part of the general underside but I'm also thinking that it maybe represents the bottom of the Sabre engine and should thus be another colour (Dark Bronze Green perhaps).

As ever, all help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Optional dust filter

21 minutes ago, SteveJM said:

Morning All,

This is the tropical filter fitted to production Typhoons from around the end of September 1944, including RB-serialled Typhoons. It was painted the underside colour (msg).  It took air in when ground running and fed into the trunking mentioned  below.

21 minutes ago, SteveJM said:

The bulge represents the trunking which delivered air from the frontal intake to the engine. It was painted 'aluminium'. How the part fits in the Airfix kit I'm not too sure but I'm sure someone who has built one recently will be along shortly.

CT

Thank you Gentlemen. I've found a couple of reference images for positioning the filter now. So the locating pin has been removed, a test fit done and all is well. Just waiting for the filler to dry in a panel gap the size of the Grand Canyon that wasn't visible till I got some paint on the thing. Well that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it.

Steve