This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks Cookie for that info, I confess that one has flown under my radar. A page here with links to some reviews on it show it to be a mixed bag as we've come to expect from Cyber-Hobby, the IPMS/USA review is fairly thorough & objective I thought. To someone of PC's  modelling prowess, it should be a walk in the park though compared to the Matchbox kit. :)

Steve.

I don't think it can be used, actually -- the Helldiver I has the other style of canopy, with little windows just abaft the front sliding hood.

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I guess it's possible for an aeroplane to have superior performance in important areas, but not be as beloved as its predecessor. I think I remember reading something similar about the Zero when it first entered service as it wasn't as nimble and fun to fly as the A5M.

Some of it is nostalgia for / memory of the first aircraft you flew.  My neighbour flew Sea Vixens and still swears that the FAW1 was “more fun” than the FAW2, but when pressed on why eventually concedes that the Mk.1 was prettier (which is definitely true) and “just that little bit more of a 20-year-old’s hot-rod”.   Similarly, many of the guys who taught me to fly the Sea King had been Wessex 3 pilots when young.  The Sea King was an infinitely better aircraft in almost every respect, but you’d still get the occasional “ah, the Wessex was a proper aircraft” - just the hint that only real men flew single engine night ASW...

Sorry; thread drift.  Helldiver.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Phwoaarrrrrr! Those stencils really do add something to the look.

Agreed 100%! :clap: 

Ciao

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

Phwoaarrrrrr! Those stencils really do add something to the look.

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Your Helldiver is progressing nicely - the little stencils definitely do add to it - and I guess you could almost assemble a Tamiya Corsair blindfold by now?

16 hours ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

Nice work with the stencils.  Monochrome schemes always look better interrupted.

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100%! :clap: 

Thanks everybody, I managed to get the rest of the stencils on, except for the canopy rails and prop blades. I really do like the result and a the mild satisfaction of doing some 'proper' decaling. Pics soon.

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

I don't think it can be used, actually -- the Helldiver I has the other style of canopy, with little windows just abaft the front sliding hood.

Phooey. Matchbox it is!

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Some of it is nostalgia for / memory of the first aircraft you flew.  My neighbour flew Sea Vixens and still swears that the FAW1 was “more fun” than the FAW2, but when pressed on why eventually concedes that the Mk.1 was prettier (which is definitely true) and “just that little bit more of a 20-year-old’s hot-rod”.   Similarly, many of the guys who taught me to fly the Sea King had been Wessex 3 pilots when young.  The Sea King was an infinitely better aircraft in almost every respect, but you’d still get the occasional “ah, the Wessex was a proper aircraft” - just the hint that only real men flew single engine night ASW...

Sorry; thread drift.  Helldiver.

Please drift away! This is great stuff and I'm sure all of us would like to hear about actual pilots flying actual Sea Vixens, Wessexes, and Sea Kings as much or more than the goings ons with 1/72 versions.

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Similarly, many of the guys who taught me to fly the Sea King had been Wessex 3 pilots when young.  The Sea King was an infinitely better aircraft in almost every respect, but you’d still get the occasional “ah, the Wessex was a proper aircraft” - just the hint that only real men flew single engine night ASW...

Well, I mean, just look at it; it's one of the most delightfully goofy-looking aircraft ever conceived, second only to the mighty Floh. 

4-EF304-42-PB29.jpg

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

second only to the mighty Floh.

That pic is quite disturbing ... :sick:  :D:D 

Ciao

As promised, here are the pics with all the stencils on.

100_0815

100_0816

The USN F4U-1D (right) has caught up with the BPF Corsair IV.

100_0820

The CO vent exhaust on the bottom of the Corsair IV.

100_0825

I think I need to sand it down just a tad more.

Steady progress there, Cookie - love all the stenciling :clap: The two F4 are also coming together properly - and I keep thinking of the 1/48 Tamiya F4-U1 I have in my stash ... :hmmm:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Your Helldiver is looking great Cookie,  I've a boxing of this on the way to do a VB-84 one, the white stencils against the gloss blue really do set it off well, something for me to look forward too :unsure: ( says I in resigned stencil hating tone. ) :)

Steve.

Great work on the stencils Cookie - your poor eyes!

Nice progress from the temporary (hopefully) bench.

Great job on the stencils. Probably easier to see on the model than on the paper. And those Corsairs grow tastier by the day...

Justin

At the risk of simply repeating everyone else, your Helldiver is looking really good, the stencil data has definitely made a difference.

Corsairs are coming along nicely too B)

Cheers,

Stew