Iceberg and After

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I ordered some Orocal 810 and 631. Those are the two I saw mentioned for model masking.

Great choice! :thumbsup:

Ced's right about cutting paper; at work, we ended up ordering a new cutting map right after the first test... :chair:

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has an 'engraved' mat! :)

Cookie my MAC valve arrived yesterday so I'll be trying it out later - thanks to you for your tips :)

• Like 2

The cutter has arrived, and it works beautifully - managed to cut out roundels and numbers for the Hellcats, and managed to engrave a BPF roundel on the cutting matt on the first try! Right of passage I guess, and everything went fine after that. Off for some lunch, then give the new masks a whirl.

• Like 5

And then it was time to try out the masks.

I used wide Tamiya tape as 'transfer' tape.

100_1074

Placed the outer edges of the 'outline'.

100_1077

Painted the Dark blue first. Usually I use Vallejo Steel blue for roundels, but my bottle was a the bottom of a pile of boxes, so I used Mission Models Glossy Sea blue hoping it would contrast with the Lifecolor just a tad.

100_1078

Now masked up for the white.

100_1079

You can see on the left fuselage roundel, that the rear most 'bar' is a little crooked - this will come back to haunt me.

Mission Models acrylic white applied. This stuff does spray almost as well as enamels.

100_1081

Unmasked.

100_1083

You can see that the rear most 'bar' is crooked, but I think it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. There's also a bit of general clean up to do, but still better than decals!

The other side.

100_1084

It's surprising that the lettering turned out so much better than the roundels, but they only needed to be applied once as opposed to the roundels where everything had to be lined up twice.

I can't wait to make more masks - and figure out more techniques for applying them.

• Like 16

Great stuff Cookie! :)

Engraved cutting mat - join the club! A right of passage as you say and the mat still works fine eh? I considered buying a replacement but then thought hey, it's only a sticky mat and I'll probably need to get another when the sticky wears off.

Impressive stuff, as usual :)

• Like 1

:yahoo: Great going, Cookie :clap:

Which of the two vinyls have you been using for this? I only have the 810 and found it to be very flexible; if you burnish it properly, it will avoid paint running into panel lines.

Also, I use 3M Magic tape as a trasnfer tape, in thin strips (i.e., I use the strips to go across all the mask bits enough to pick them up all, but not to cover them all - if this makes sense to you)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone!

I need to work on my application technique, the Portrait cutting machine made beautiful masks. The main problem was with the 'bars' on the roundels making the entire mask outline 'unstable' able to twist and stretch - my previous attempts with pre-cut 'regular' round roundels (good band name) were much easier.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Engraved cutting mat - join the club! A right of passage as you say and the mat still works fine eh? I considered buying a replacement but then thought hey, it's only a sticky mat and I'll probably need to get another when the sticky wears off.

On my first test cut, the machine didn't load the cutting mat all the way and it engraved a nice roundel on top! I didn't know how far it was supposed to load, so was unaware of anything being off. It's worked fine every time since. Like you say, the mats are inexpensive and the stickiness is probably the first thing to actually fail. I want to try cutting some vinyl without the mat to see how it goes.

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Which of the two vinyls have you been using for this? I only have the 810 and found it to be very flexible; if you burnish it properly, it will avoid paint running into panel lines.

Also, I use 3M Magic tape as a trasnfer tape, in thin strips (i.e., I use the strips to go across all the mask bits enough to pick them up all, but not to cover them all - if this makes sense to you)

I used 831 on this try because the 810 won't arrive until the end of the week. Thanks very much for the tip on the 3M transfer tape, this is where my technique needs to improve!

• Like 2

Hi Cookie,

what can I say? So this is what feeling inadequate feels like.... I should have guessed.

What you do, along with a few other wizards in this forum, is mind boggling. I feel like a first year student sitting by mistake in a PhD dissertation... Everything said after 'Hello', is absolutely non understandable.

I decided years ago that Xtradecals would be my brand of choice, and that printing my own decals or cutting my own convoluted masks would remain firmly in the domain of far-fetched science fiction. Now seeing you delving into the black art, and achieving results, makes me want to blow the dust off my magic wand... But only for a second. Too many of us doing what you do would likely stretch the space-time continuum, and who knows what would happen. Hinomarus on a Hellcat maybe?

Anyway, superb model and astounding technique!

JR

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's not nearly as complicated as it seems JR, the most difficult part is actually placing the masks where you need them! Still figuring that part out.

Speaking of, I cleaned up all the little spots that where the masking didn't go 100% as planned:

100_1086

The other side:

100_1087

Added decals for the really tiny stuff, and tried to duplicate the exhaust weathering seen on most Hellcat reference pics.

100_1089

I've learned that Mission Models white really needs  a sprayed varnish for protection - it's pretty fragile, so much so that my brushing a coat of Future/AK Satin mix damaged the white in a few areas.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

That weathering looks gorgeous, Cookie!

Agreed 100% :clap:

And thanks for the heads up on Mission Models Insignia White - I did get it myself to try it out, but haven't yet, so it's good having heard from your experience :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

By the way; Colourcoats does make USN Insignia White, and it doesn't just wipe off at the drop of a Q-tip... just sayin' ;):lol:

Ha! I did have some Colourcoats white (it was used on the Helldiver), but I managed to contaminate it somehow when painting the Corsairs. I'm waiting for the US supplier to get RAAF Foliage green back in stock before I order more.