Iceberg and After

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I really need to get into the mask making game that you've demonstrated on your Macchis, it really avoids a lot of the problems of decals.

You definitely need to, you won't regret it :coolio: :D

Excellent job on the decal desaturation, though :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Looking good there Cookie, I really love the job  on the Corsairs.  Good luck for the Seafire which will seem tiny in comparison.  

What comes after the Seafire?  BPF Avenger? BPF Hellcat?

Save my seat I need to get more popcorn..

• Like 2

I love them both, Cookie! :clap: Very effective painting and weathering :worthy:

For someone who's on the move, you have been quite productive, haven't you? :wink::D

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I can't get Flickr to show photos.

I followed your advice @CedB, but still no pics.

Oh well, hopefully it will be sorted soon. I have made progress on the two Hellcats and Seafire; all three have the cockpits in and fuselages together. Unfortunately, the Sword kit doesn't come with the later horizontal stabilizers, so I'll have to wait until I can get a hold of some until I can proceed (frustrating when I have approximately a million of them in the unreachable stash).

My plan is to race ahead with the Glossy Sea blue Hellcat in an attempt to meet @Stew Dapple and @Procopius with ten completions for the year.

• Like 4

Thanks Simon! I deleted everything before, after and including the bracketed "img" 'bookends'.

Here they are.

38439398244_a7e9ae383d_b.jpg

The Seafire interior started. I managed to remember to add a backing to the exhaust openings for later. If you're looking for a great example to follow of how to build the Sword kit, I'd recommend checking out Bedder's (Justin) build here. That's what I did!

I reinforced the heck out of the tail hook housing, just knowing that I'd pop it into the fuselage while sanding the gaps later.

38266848895_ed0990e69a_b.jpg

There's a Seafire in there somewhere.

38439397384_effe1c0657_b.jpg

The reinforcement plan actually worked - the tailhook bay was sanded smooth  without breaking off.

38266848635_626b9a5518_b.jpg

I placed the cockpit inside the completed fuselage through the gap underneath where the wings will meet it.

38266848415_57ff4efb1a_b.jpg

The Eduard Hellcat kit is just as nice as everyone says. It has also reinforced my belief that PE is just not for me.

38439396474_e86849e43f_b.jpg

I managed to get the two part main instrument panel pieces on, and they look very nice. The PE piece for one of the side panels flew off to nowhere, and I used a toothpick to paint the rest of the dials (I managed to get all the PE on the other IP, but of course, failed to get a pic - you can't really tell which is which in the completed fuselage anyway).

The PE seatbelts also flew around, so on with the trusty masking tape belts.

38439399054_0eb3af791d_b.jpg

Oh, hey there it is - the 'good' IP where I managed to get all the bits on.

38266849095_d0054569b1_b.jpg

The Eduard kit comes with two sets of clear parts for the portion of the fuselage behind the canopy - one with windows (Hellcat I / F6F-3) and one without (Hellcat II / F6F-5).

38439395634_f12dac3004_b.jpg

This is the only area where I'm really worried about clean up. Both of the BPF Hellcats I'm building are Mk II's so I went ahead and attached the parts with Tamiya Extra Thin, as there is no window to protect, they'll be painted solid. Of course, the universe knew this, and refused to fog the clear parts - solvent glues only fog clear parts that are going to be windows. It's like the 14th law of thermodynamics or something.

All three in their current state.

38266848175_748e6cdddd_b.jpg

I can see why the Hellcat might have been popular with Seafire pilots, if you get bounced by the enemy, you could just hide behind one!

38439394834_552b52544e_b.jpg

• Like 12

Lovely job, Cookie :clap:

I always glue clear parts using CA gel: it doesn't fog, and after it cured, I just run a very small amount of TET along the joint, with an old fine brush. Makes for a perfect bond

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Oooer, that Flickr problem is weird Cookie... I'm wondering now if the hosting upgrades have introduced some new 'security' measures that stop things working...

One of my clients introduced a new security feature that checked the IP address of the hosting server against a 'blacklist', Sadly for us the BT hosting site had tens of thousands of sites on it, and ONE of them was naughty, blocking everyone from access.

Sometimes I think the techies just need to get out more :)

Nice work, as usual.

• Like 1

Well, I picked a Hellcat for the rush to ten in 2017.

25332069088_2d1cb71641_b.jpg

I added the rockets, then cut them off the stubs, thinking this would assure better alignment than if I cut off the stubs first and then added them.

38321459535_06a6880954_b.jpg

Turns out that it just makes it difficult to keep the stubs at all the same height maneuvering the sprue cutters/razor saw around a rocket.

Added some Interior green to the canopy.

25332068068_8af590799c_b.jpg

I mixed yellow and black Stynylrez primer hoping for a sort of greenish result, but it came out a light grey.

39170336892_f757cd17ee_b.jpg

I had to strip the cowling and rebuild it them prime again. The seams are just very weak the way Eduard has designed them.

I used a mix of Mission Models Glossy Sea blue and USN/USMC Sea blue just to try them out.

25332067088_9769040363_b.jpg

They perform very well for an acrylic in the desert - very little tip dry, but I'm going to post shade with Lifecolor to get the color to more what I want.

• Like 6

I got hold of a couple of Mission Models paints myself, nice to see they worked well for you :thumbsup:  Did you thin them or id you use them straight out of the jar?

TIA

Ciao

• Like 1

I thinned the blues with just a few drops of Mission Models thinner and a drop or two of their poly. They spray almost as well as enamels in my experience. I also sprayed Interior green thinned with distilled water and it worked just fine. The cowling was re-primed with their black primer and it was very impressive, so smooth.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cookie! What ace choices. I love a cookie Corsair and these have merely added to my delight and made me look forward too the hellcats! (I was always an in line kinda guy, until you sent me Corsair transfers, so it’s your fault).

anyway, great finish on the corsairs and helldiver (come on it’s not that bad @Stew Dapple it’s got it’s own charm to it really) and great start on the hellcat and seafire!

Rob

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2018 at 3:09 AM, giemme said:

Have you ever tried mixing Lifecolor with Future, to get a glossier result?

I have a little bottle that contains Future, flow improver and retarder diluted with distilled water that I use as thinner for Lifecolor and Vallejo, so the answer is sort of 'yes', but I didn't use full on Future for a gloss effect - it just makes Lifecolor behave very nicely.

I think I'll use the Future method with the decals for this one, and then give it an overall AK satin varnish afterwards.

• Like 2