Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

My house is packed up for a move (to somewhere, who knows?), along with the kit stash, books and many of my tools. A perfect time to start a build!

 

I needed a kit that would be easy to build with the shoebox of tools that I spared from long term storage just in case the whole moving process took long enough to require them. Good call past Cookie - I really owe you one this time.

 

This 1/72 Academy Helldiver from the USS Randolph during Operation Iceberg caught my eye.

100_0780

 

The boxart also provided a theme for a multi-build - the British Pacific Fleet played a large role in Iceberg, and this affords the opportunity to build a couple of FAA subjects that have been on the list for a long time:

 

A Corsair IV from the HMS Formidable, and the two BPF Indomitable based Hellcats featured in the Eduard dual-combo boxing.

 

Oh, and I'm planning to add an Essex based F4U-1D Corsair for good measure. This could turn into an @Beard level never ending build.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A confession; I started this build a couple weeks ago to pass the time, and waited to start a WIP until I was reasonably certain that I'd have something to show for it - my last few WIP's have gotten stuck and are now packed up in crates somewhere.

 

So here is the Helldiver as it was this afternoon, masked up for its Randolph 'G Markings'. If you're interested in what the build process looks like, I recommend visiting @DaveyGair's build in the Radial Engines Rock GB, he does a much better job on the interior than I did!

100_0767

 

The base coat is Colourcoats Glossy Sea blue (the WWII version). I'm always impressed with these paints no matter how many times I use them, and I really appreciate the color matching - I'm pretty sure that most other major brands match only the post-war Glossy Sea blue, which is a slightly different color.

 

The white sprayed on - again Colourcoats (US Insignia white).

100_0769

 

Masking removed.

100_0771

 

100_0775

 

While I was at it, I thought I'd better practice trying to replicate the masking and overspray on the Essex 'G Markings' .

100_0776

 

100_0777

 

A little more practice required, but it looks doable. Again, it's down to the Colourcoats, they're the first paints I've owned that spray just like the internet video tutorials always spray when I watch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cookie! It's really good to see you back mate, and with an interesting 'concept' build too B)

 

Happy building and hope the move goes smooth :)

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

My house is packed up for a move (to somewhere, who knows?)

Chicago's nice, he said, as convincingly as he could.

 

That's some really nice masking, too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on the 'Beast', looking forward to see it progress.  Mind if I sit over here for the whole theme?  I have a couple of FAA Iceberg aeroplanes completed and in WIP / Stash myself so I'll just look n if I may?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Splendid work Cookie. I'm rather honoured that my rather poor effort has inspired you. Good luck with your move.

 

Talking of Operation Iceberg...

?format=750w

 

(Hint, hint)

 

That photograph is from here: http://www.armouredcarriers.com/task-force-57-iceberg-i-british-pacific-fleet/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you start what would very likely turn into an epic thread while you're on the move? Heroic! 

 

Watching :popcorn::popcorn:

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the 'mention in dispatches' Cookie, I'm going to be using Vallejo Modelair paint on mine so will be interesting to see their interpretation of Glossy Sea Blue.

Been laid low with a bug ( the grand-kids kindly passed on to me), so may not get anything done this weekend :unamused:

 

:goodjob:

 

Davey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Happy building and hope the move goes smooth :)

Thanks Stew! Are you at Telford this weekend on henchman duty? I hope so.

 

I should also mention to everyone that I am NOT a Colourcoats 'henchman', I'm just grateful to those who are, as I genuinely love the paint and am glad for its recent 'resuscitation'.

 

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

Chicago's nice, he said, as convincingly as he could.

Chicago eh? I've heard good things.

Have fun at the Butch O'Hare Show!

 

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You've done a cracking job there Cookie :)

Thanks Jamie, I know you have to be at Telford, enjoy and don't work too hard, there's more paint to make!

 

7 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work on the 'Beast', looking forward to see it progress.  Mind if I sit over here for the whole theme?  I have a couple of FAA Iceberg aeroplanes completed and in WIP / Stash myself so I'll just look n if I may?

Thanks GB, honoured to have you along - I can't believe I missed your FAA builds, they're fantastic.

 

7 hours ago, Beard said:

 

?format=750w

 

(Hint, hint)

 

Your Spitfire build is very inspiring Simon!

Oh, I can gladly take that hint - this project has been on the back burner for a few years and a Sword BPF Seafire along with Carmichael's USN Hellcat were to be the 'foundation', if you will, but they are both packed up now, waiting to join at the opportune moment. I did spend way too much time the other evening scouring the internet for the original Sword Mk III boxing with the Indefatigable transfers (and almost entire spare Mk V), but they are rare indeed.

 

7 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Ooh, very nice, Cookie. And a most informative link to the article on Op Iceberg, thanks.

Thanks Chris! I'm a big fan of that site, I wish other subjects had such thorough all well presented online content.

 

6 hours ago, giemme said:

So you start what would very likely turn into an epic thread while you're on the move? Heroic! 

No, just silly Giorgio! But I was going stir crazy without a build on the go.

 

5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Thanks for the 'mention in dispatches' Cookie, I'm going to be using Vallejo Modelair paint on mine so will be interesting to see their interpretation of Glossy Sea Blue.

Been laid low with a bug ( the grand-kids kindly passed on to me), so may not get anything done this weekend :unamused:

Hope you feel better soon Davey, and really looking forward to the Glossy Sea blue on your Helldiver!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Your Spitfire build is very inspiring Simon!

Oh, I can gladly take that hint - this project has been on the back burner for a few years and a Sword BPF Seafire along with Carmichael's USN Hellcat were to be the 'foundation', if you will, but they are both packed up now, waiting to join at the opportune moment. I did spend way too much time the other evening scouring the internet for the original Sword Mk III boxing with the Indefatigable transfers (and almost entire spare Mk V), but they are rare indeed.

 

Good luck finding one of the original boxings, I'm continually scanning eBay (amongst other places) and haven't seen one for sale recently. *Heads off to try to find one* (if I find two, you can have one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed Simon! I checked again today too, no luck.

 

Engine attached.

100_0787

 

I dimpled the surface of the wings a little bit and this is the first pic where it has shown up - just above the gun on the right wing. I was worried that the overall Gloss Sea blue scheme would look too sedate and took a round file to a few panels - way too heavy handed in places (should have practiced first), but I sanded some of the worst offenders back, and they really only show up at just the right angle to the light.

 

There was a lot less luck to be had with the canopy masking.

100_0788

 

Much of the paint came up with the mask. I foolishly painted the interior green Zinc Chromate with acrylics, and then the Gloss Sea blue with enamels. Um, don't do that. You can see the blue-tack through the windows (and most of the frames) that's holding them in place. I'm planning on posing the canopies open.

 

After some work with a tiny brush and a toothpick.

100_0792

 

A bit more work to do, but I'm not going to re-mask them.

 

Almost ready for decals.

100_0793

 

I have to say that the Academy kit is really an enjoyable build - I wish I was a bigger fan of the Helldiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a reason it earned its nickname. Son of a B*^*h 2nd class. It was a good aircraft that could take punishment but was a bear to fly if you weren't experienced.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean about the Helldiver Cookie; not beautiful enough to be attractive and not ugly enough to be interesting :lol: 

 

Shame about the canopy framing but... well, let us just say "good save mate" and speak of it no more ;) 

 

Thanks mate, I am indeed wearing my Sovereign Hobbies uniform at Telford this year and am currently trying to prod my aching feet back into action for day two. I met a few of the BritMo Massive yesterday and quite enjoyed my Henchman's role generally. Didn't get to give anyone concrete overshoes or drop them down a lift-shaft but I guess that comes after I've completed my training and had my annual appraisal :D 

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you Cookie.

 

No re-masking on the canopy.

 

Once is an intolerable pain.....twice is simply unnecessary torture.

 

Good save too by the way.

 

Cheers

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going well there Cookie, sorry about the masking, but if it was an easy hobby we wouldn't be doing it.  You have got to admit there is a bit of satisfaction in beating the model from hell...  

 

On the pealing of masking, I usually use Xtracrylics paint and find that a sharp blade along the side of the masking just before pealing usually helps (but there again I work in the remedial scale so it's a dit easier).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all looks great to me, Cookie :clap:

 

Great save on the canopy (especially considering the scale :frantic: )

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really great to see you back Cookie - just caught up but I'll sit in if I may :)

 

I know what you and Stew mean about the Helldiver - I was lucky enough to have coffee with Debs and Fritag yesterday and we agreed that a lot of US aircraft are, um, 'roomy' which leads to larger, more 'sturdy' designs. That said the Harvard / Texan has grown on me and I now have some 'Harvard love'... so the Helldiver is looking good to me, especially under your usual skilled attention :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 9:10 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Theres a reason it earned its nickname. Son of a B*^*h 2nd class. It was a good aircraft that could take punishment but was a bear to fly if you weren't experienced.  

I was just reading an account where the captain of the Hornet was a very 'by the book' type, and demanded that all aircraft would only be allowed the takeoff distance prescribed in official documentation. Apparently, the Helldivers suffered terribly.

 

23 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks mate, I am indeed wearing my Sovereign Hobbies uniform at Telford this year and am currently trying to prod my aching feet back into action for day two. I met a few of the BritMo Massive yesterday and quite enjoyed my Henchman's role generally. Didn't get to give anyone concrete overshoes or drop them down a lift-shaft but I guess that comes after I've completed my training and had my annual appraisal :D 

You'll be breaking thumbs in no time Stew!

PC and I have pledged to attend SMW 2019, so I hope you will have earned an hour or two off by then so you can pal around with you American buddies at the show.

 

22 hours ago, Winenut said:

No re-masking on the canopy.

 

Once is an intolerable pain.....twice is simply unnecessary torture.

Thanks Bruce, truer words have never been spoken.

 

19 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

On the pealing of masking, I usually use Xtracrylics paint and find that a sharp blade along the side of the masking just before pealing usually helps (but there again I work in the remedial scale so it's a dit easier).

Excellent advice, thanks Beema, that's definitely one to file away.

 

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Great save on the canopy (especially considering the scale :frantic: )

Thanks Giorgio, I think it needs one more pass and then I'll let it be. Having them posed open will help hide the imperfections I think.

 

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I know what you and Stew mean about the Helldiver - I was lucky enough to have coffee with Debs and Fritag yesterday and we agreed that a lot of US aircraft are, um, 'roomy' which leads to larger, more 'sturdy' designs. That said the Harvard / Texan has grown on me and I now have some 'Harvard love'... so the Helldiver is looking good to me, especially under your usual skilled attention :)

Oh to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation! Yes, uh 'roomy', or 'big old honkin' monsters'. Last year I built a Corsair alongside two Spitfires and it was hard to believe they were the same scale. It reminds me of the account of Mike Crosley aboard the Essex. The American crew had lots of questions, including:

 

Q. How much smaller is this than the Spitfire?
A. It isn’t. Its exactly the same size.

 

They couldn't believe the Seafire could be so small, spending their time around Hellcats, Corsairs, Avengers and Helldivers.

 

11 hours ago, Beard said:

Would this Xtradecals sheet https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72135 provide what you need?

Thanks Simon, I bought that sheet a while back thinking that it would have any possible Seafire build I could desire, and it has an Implacable 'N' marked Seafire which I do plan on building someday, but I'm also looking for an Indefatigable 'S'. Bedders (Justin) has suggested this Xtradecals sheet of generic BPF markings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Last year I built a Corsair alongside two Spitfires and it was hard to believe they were the same scale.

That reminds me of the quote about the first time a Spitfire pilot saw a P-47 Thunderbolt. The two were parked next to each other. The RAF pilot said of the Thunderbolt “ You yanks ever get in a dogfight with that beast. You can always unstrap and run around  inside the fuselage to avoid Jerry's bullets” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, yea, yea y'all Brits go on and on about how big the yank's are until somebody parks their Spit beside a Yak 3.:tease:

 

I meet a Helldiver pilot who never flew the SBD. He said it wasn't that bad of a plane, just not very pilot friendly.  He said it was all the "old men" who constantly complained about the planes shortcomings. 

Edited by Thud4444

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to get a start on the Corsairs - the Tamiya 1/72 kit.

100_0801

 

I didn't have any Interior green, so I added a little black to yellow ZInc Chromate, and got a decent match.

 

I had three cockpit parts from one of the kits disintegrate in my hands, which has never happened before, and the other went together fine. Fortunately, the only really visible part to break was a gun sight. Not having my spares box(es) around, I managed to fabricate one from the 'stem' of one of the dental brushes I use to clean the airbrush (it's no beer can, but call me Giemme Jr!)

100_0798

 

With paint.

100_0799

 

One fuselage together.

100_0803

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I like to see... multiple kits on the go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×