1/48 scale Me 262

cybershed

Hi there, I wonder if my fellow BM colleagues can help point me in the right direction.  I want to build a 1/48 scale Me 262 posed in an 'in-flight' wheels up configuration.

I bought myself a Tamiya A1 kit which looks beautiful.  But it is not designed to be built 'wheels-up' and has some lovely options for open gun bay, engine cowlings off etc.  I do not want to cover up all this lovey detail, so I will build this one as intended in due course.

i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a 1/48 scale Me 262 kit that either comes designed with a wheels up option, or is not blessed with a ton of internal detail so I don't feel bad about manually re-configurating it to a wheels up configuration?

Also, can anyone provide point me in the direction of some detailed photos of the underside of the Me262 in flight.  Either model or real pics would be useful.

Hope you can help. 

4 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

How about this one:

20bb328f-f944-4ebe-bca4-3b6acd6cca65.jpg

Thanks Roman. What I can't make out is whether or not the wheel cover were totally flush with the rest of the underside when landing gear is retracted.

I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that they weren't totally flush. As I said, not sure why I have that notion, it does seem strange if that is the case, but I'd like to confirm it either way. Flush or not?

I can't seem to find any pics that establish either way. And no one seems to build one with wheels up.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hobbyboss makes several 262 kits in 1/48th and also 1/72. You could try them to do your gear up build

I had one (hobbyboss but sold it) and it's wheels down only.  I did one of their fw190's and it was wheels down only.

don't know if that's across the board though.

i have the monogram kit in the stash and although there are crew they're not seated chaps :(

btw good luck getting the monogram kit cheap in the uk (best bet would be kingkit or kitsforcash).  Even though it's from like 1964 or something it looks a superb kit (in fact next to be butchered by me :) ).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Even though it's from like 1964 or something it looks a superb kit (

no, it's from 1978, and was came not long after NASM rolled out their immaculate restoration,  so I suspect that Monogram got  access to  that.

It was a stunning kit in it's day,  and apart fromthe raised panel lines and fit  of nose gun panels,  still a contender.

By immaculate their 262 was fortunately never stripped back in the US,  so it was possible to  sand back the layers of paint. to determine the original markings and colours.

There was a great article in Scale Models in 1978 IIRC on this.   The review of  the kit was in the June 78 issue,  and it was maybe the first time mixes for accurate late war  Luftwaffe colours was provided,  I duly mixed them up and even have the remains of  a Fw190D in these.

At least one member here @ABeck IIRC rates the Mono 262 as the best shaped in 1/48th.

For 1964 you maybe thinking of Lindberg.

@cybershed  there are bound to be  walkarounds of  various 262s on the net,let  alone the newbuilds ones

eg

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Me262.html

52 minutes ago, cybershed said:

What I can't make out is whether or not the wheel cover were totally flush with the rest of the underside when landing gear is retracted.

I don't know why, but I've got it in my head that they weren't totally flush. As I said, not sure why I have that notion, it does seem strange if that is the case, but I'd like to confirm it either way. Flush or not?

define "flush"  

from the pics above it look like there is a small lip on the  UC doors,  but in 1/48th this is imperceptible. 

Finally it should  be  noted the  Hobby Boss 262's  are available cheap.   If I have one to hand I'll have a look to seeif a UC optio is possible, but I'd be very surprised if it was  not achiveable with some modelling.

• Like 1

Yeah @Troy Smith you recommended the monogram kit to me that's why i got one 👍

Just dug it out and other than raised panel lines looks top notch.

@cybershed if you get a kit you can do wheels up but without crew i have a wide selection (although i promised them to @Mainly28s i'm sure he won't mind if you have one - sorry Olaf I haven't forgotten - honest!!!)

• Haha 1

I've gt a part-built HB 262 lined up for the KUTA GB. I'll dig it out tomorrow and try the doors closed for you. You can pick them up cheap and they are easy builds. The Monogram kit is very good but the wing dihedral is out IIRC they're too flat. Easy enough to correct though.

• Thanks 1

I built the Monogram kit a few years ago, I thought it went together rather well, the gun bay doors needing the most attention. I used the True Details PE set, mostly for the gear bay doors and harnesses. I also went with a aftermarket decal sheet, I wanted something different than the typical RLM colors and found this one in RLM 74, 75 and 76. I also replaced the loop antenna with one that I made from wire.

Me262.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Yeah @Troy Smith you recommended the monogram kit to me that's why i got one 👍

Just dug it out and other than raised panel lines looks top notch.

@cybershed if you get a kit you can do wheels up but without crew i have a wide selection (although i promised them to @Mainly28s i'm sure he won't mind if you have one - sorry Olaf I haven't forgotten - honest!!!)

Well, the Tamiya kit comes with a pilot, so I'll keep him and use him when I get a kit for 'wheels up. But many thanks for the offer.

14 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I've gt a part-built HB 262 lined up for the KUTA GB. I'll dig it out tomorrow and try the doors closed for you. You can pick them up cheap and they are easy builds. The Monogram kit is very good but the wing dihedral is out IIRC they're too flat. Easy enough to correct though.

Yeah, let me know thanks. I think i will get a HB one and 'chop shop' if necessary.

Thanks to everyone for your wise words.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay but I couldn't find the wing assembly at first

23517964_369071020198297_895350056187223

The undercarriage doors fit very well into the wing openings. The centre doors will need the joining piece removing and the internal fore and aft beam will need the lugs for the open doors removing. The locating recesses are perfectly adequate to secure the doors.

There is a slight gap on the rear nose wheel door but that could be down to the temporary assembly. Easily fixed with a strip of plastic card along the edge. You will need to make a backing piece to fix the doors firmly in place here as well. All looks pretty straight forward though.

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2017 at 8:01 PM, Lawzer said:

No worries- I don't mind sharing the love- or the figures. I wouldn't want to hog the nice stuff!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I finished the Monogram 262 recently, and it builds up very nicely. The raised panel lines aren't that big a deal as the real aircraft had the panel lines filled and sanded.

Image6

FinishedImage71a34876u

Nice!

i started to rescribe the panel lines but that's gone on hold for the time being.

3 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

The raised panel lines aren't that big a deal as the real aircraft had the panel lines filled and sanded.

as seen here

Messerschmitt_Me_262_Schwable.jpg

Me-262-67.jpg

Me262_fighter_in_Germany_1945.jpg

checkingout262.jpg

I must pull out my unbuilt Mono kit next timeI get to it.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith
add pics
  • Like 1