Tamiya M4 mid production 1/35

Plasto

Hi,

im going to have a go at another Sherman kit before the Sherman GB kicks off. 

I have the Squadron M4 in action book and on page 9 is this well known image of a 3rd Armoured Division M4 in Germany in October 1944

38304400081_4f2d7f5321_b.jpg

The Image in the squadron book is a bit more cropped than this but using the book and Hunnicutt I think it’s a mid production / re-manufactured M4 3 Piece transmission cover  with appliqué armour and the M34 gun shield and earlier style road wheels.

Given that this kit seems ideally suited to build a replica..

24092007498_231ee422d0.jpg

Most of the features on the photo can be found in the boxing I think.

Ive made a start on the hull, boxing in the sponsons and correcting the weld beads. I have images but need to run em through Lightroom first.

The aim with the build being not to use any after market bits.

I’m going to give the sand bag armour a go using epoxy sculpting clay Milliput or similar.

wish me luck.

Plasto

• Like 4

Good luck :)

Oh, and following :popcorn:

I am by no means an expert on any aspects of modelling, let alone Shermans, but I am hoping for your sake that the front fenders on the kit are optional, otherwise it looks like you've got a bit of fettling to do! 

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Tamiya got it wrong with the glacis plate. It's more suited to an M4A4/Sherman V.

What’s incorrect on the kit glacis for an m4 ?

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

Interesting to see just how much mud and crud there is built up on top of those suspension units.

Carry on like this and you'll soon be churning out Shermans as quick as they did in real life methinks!

Rearguards,

Badder

Righto here are some images of my progress. 

First up I have boxed in the sponsons with some 40 thou plastic card. I also filled in the back of the idler with plastic card.

I added the handed bolt holes to the VVSS units and thinned down the plastic on the track return skids for a more scale appearance. I also ran with the Fancy Drive sprockets..

IMG_4353

I also added some texture to the final drive housings with some surfacer..

I then have added some stretched sprue to the welds to bring them in line and more prototypical and added some I beam to replicate the mount for the hedgerow cutter. I did this before getting a better image of the tank and seeing the beams were chopped leaving a tongue. 

IMG_4357

I have also added some strip to the hull sides to replicate the mounting strip for the guards. 

I've also built the basic turret and sorted out the cannon barrel.

Detail bits next..

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 7

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:09, Plasto said:

What’s incorrect on the kit glacis for an m4 ?

The weld lines running down the centre of the glacis. They shouldn't be there for an M4. Anyone building a Dragon M50 could use the Tamiya M4 glacis as it is correct for an M4A4 and also has the correct shape to the hoods as opposed to the Dragon ones, which are too narrow.

Also, I don't know how far that you want to go with detailing, but Tamiya left off the three bolt heads along the bottom of the VVSS units. If you look back at the photo that you posted on the 10th November, you can see them on the front unit.

John. 

Edited by Bullbasket
I think slowly!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The weld lines running down the centre of the glacis. They shouldn't be there for an M4. 

Hi John,

Thanks for that very interesting.

The M4 G/A Schematic on page 132 of Hunnicutt shows the weld lines.

Is Hunnicutt incorrect? 

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:55, Plasto said:

The M4 G/A Schematic on page 132 of Hunnicutt shows the weld lines.

Is Hunnicutt incorrect? 

If it shows them being in the same place as Tamiya have put them, then yes. I know Hunnicutt is the Sherman bible, but when it comes to drawings, there's always doubt. I've been talking to some people, very knowledgeable when it coms to Shermans, and each one has said that the Tamiya glacis is wrong. Apparently, it should have weld beads, but not where they have depicted them. The hoods are the wrong shape, seen only on Chrysler built M4A4's. Also, the radio pot on the right side is the wrong shape for an M4. Again, seen on M4A4's.

I can't find a clear photo of an M4 which shows the glacis clearly so I can't be more specific as to where the weld beads should be.

But, saying all that, so what! build it. It's a hobby and should be enjoyed. It's only ancient curmudgeons like me that spend eons correcting every little mistake (and still miss some).

John. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi John,

Thanks for that. It’s good to know that ‘Hunnicutt’ the book that is widely accepted as the definitive resource on the Sherman is incorrect.

As you say none of the mistakes apparently present make much difference. To 99.99% of folk it’s a Sherman.

Cheers

Plasto

I have been working on the Sandbags for the glacis plate...

I used milliput...

IMG_4360

This is the main ones placed I used a silicone artists sculpting tool to add the creases in and a bit of mesh gauze to add some texture to the bags..

Here it is finished with the final bags added...

IMG_4362

You can also see I added in the bolts to the VVSS units as per John's suggestion I punched these out of 40 thou plastic card. I don't have a hexagonal punch so some 2.5mm circles will have to do.. I think they will be ok once painted and weathered.

Cheers

Plasto.. 

• Like 7

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Good point Dennis,

When I did the weld beads I was unsure if I wanted to add sand bags or if if use other stowage or if I’d use resin sand bags..

Any how the weld beads are a few minutes work with stretched sprue and extra thin so not much loss time wise..

Cheers

John

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1

Great progress, I'm loving it.😂😂😂. I got a quick question though...

OIn you last picture with the sandbags, the driver has no vision slit and would be blind... On the photo (your original real m4 one ) the drivers field of view is secured by a Metal in a U shaped manner (wrong way round)... the wrong way round U protects the vision port from being blocked I assume?

I am no Sherman expert, it just looks weird, poor driver.^^

Hi,

On the Tamiya kit the driver and co Driver vision block covers are Moulded in the closed position. 

If they were open then there would be clearance over the sandbags I think for the periscope to work. 

The driver on the Sherman man relied on observations from the co driver and commander as well as his own limited vision when ‘buttoned up’.

On the real tank the driver had a fixed vision block (periscope) and a moveable periscope in the acess hatch. Early Sherman’s had actual slots in the glacis plate these are known as direct vision Sherman’s the slots were removed on later production models of the M4 and M4A1 as they were a weak spot in the armour.

HTH

Plasto

Edited by Plasto

Noting that the glacis weld bead debate has been dealt with by sandbags on this model, the Sherman Minutia site contains good diagrams of the various glacis construction configurations and their likely production dates and plants.  Yes, Tamiya got the front of their M4 wrong for whatever reason.

Not wishing to diss Hunnicutt, but that book was never intended to be a definitive reference of every minor production variation.  It is, as the subtitle says, a history.  Son Of Sherman probably better fills the minutia gap after very many years of research, but is of course vastly expensive and beyond many peoples' reach.  There are considerable economies of scale in printing, and one wonders what price it could have been sold for if more risk had been taken on the print run(s).  Demand seems to exceed supply, and desire greatly exceeds it.  Sell it for half the price, sell twice as many or more = same profit.

Very nice. And good execution of the sand bags. Whenever you need any hex bolts, get those Meng bolt sets, the large kit starts at 1.3mm with three sizes in 0.2mm increments. You get around 700-800 of such bolt heads for about 5€

Hi,

I have been progressing with the M4.

IMG_4366

Turret is built.. I painted the internals I used the kit tracks but shortened them by one link. 

I need to do the tools then it's off for Paint..

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 4