RNZAF Meteor T.7 Cyprus 1952-55

stevehnz

Reading the current thread about RAF Meteor T.7 markings, brought to mind a related marking conundrum, namely that of the T.7s the RNZAF hired as nav trainers while 14 sqn RNZAF were stationed on Cyprus as part of the Middle East Air force as detailed here. Looking at the photo of WL400 in that last link, I would assume standard RAF high speed silver with yellow trainer bands scheme, BUT, some years ago, a WoNZ forum member, Shorty, emailed me a photo headed taken from a VHS of footage from a serving RNZAF  officer which showed it to have a red nose panel with white outline where the normal anti glare panel would have been. I've not been able to locate any references to this other than this one photo. & wondered if anyone on Britmodeller can shed any light on this one.

Steve.

14sq Meteor

12 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

And now for something completely different…

That sure is an oddball, I'd be interested to see how this came about, too. The squadron color maybe?

Not for 14 sqn RNZAF Don, as far as I know, I did think the first time I saw it that it was a colour aberration caused by photographing the TV screen but looking at it, all other colours appear to be consistent especially black so I'm at a loss on this? :unsure: I thought maybe the dayglo on some of the Meteors in the thread I linked to were a possibility but I think this predates them considerably plus the way it is applied doesn't appear correct for the dayglo noses.

Steve.

I've just come across this thread Steve.

I've got the first volume of Roger Lindsay's Cold War Shield books which is full of Meteor unit information. It also includes quite a few Meteor T.7 and Vampire T.11 images towards the back end and I'm sure certain 'Commonwealth' units are listed here as well. I'm currently at work (?), however will take a look when I get home in a few hours time - you never know your luck - something might just be in there.

Cheers.. Dave     

• Like 1

I found this on line Steve if it helps;

Meteor T.7, WL400/Y, 14 Sqn, RNZAF, Nicosia, Cyprus

Image result for meteor 7 cyprus new zealand

It is the same aircraft,....... if you look closely it also appears to have a red fin bullet too. It looks black in the pic,...as does the anti glare panel,....but it matches the red of the roundel/fin flash due to the type of film used. I don`t see a white outline myself in the pic, nor the TV snap shot.

All the best

Tony

Edit,.....the red could well be a flight colour,....... in the RAF each flight generaly had its own Meteor T.7 for continuation training. Usually coded X and Y.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Thanks for the input guys, Tony, your reasoning on that photo, which is the one I linked to in my first post, does make some sense & not something I had considered. I agree that the "white outline" is maybe likely to be glare/flare from the TV set. There seems to have been very little photography of 14 sqns time with the Mid East Air Force, maybe more digging required. That nose in your post Trevor is intriguing, they normally didn't even wear a black anti glare panel so wonder what that is, a red nose on a non trainer Vampire???

Steve.

• Like 1

14 Squadron RNZAF, Istres, 1955.  Tempting to interpret the grey shades and compare with known colours !

w5L6XyN.jpg

Photo Credit :- B.A. Forward (Reference Roger Lindsay)

Edit :-  N.B.  A smaller photo of this appears in Roger Lindsay's "Cold War Shield" Volume 2 Page 313.  

He provisionally identifies the rudder colours as "possibly red". 

I've another shot somewhere

Dennis  -  here it is :- 

7dQvWVj.jpg

Photo Credit :- B.A. Forward (Reference Roger Lindsay)

Edited by sloegin57
1) extra photo. 2) Photo Credits added 3) Additional material and references added
  • Like 2

Thanks Dennis, those are a bit interesting indeed. 14 sqn unit marks were a white diamond on a black rectangle as can be seen either side of the boom roundels with black rudders, When they later operated Venoms during Operation Firedog, their Venoms had similar unit markings albeit over camoflaged airframes as seen in the photo LSD Modeller has posted in post #5 in the thread. So if the rectangles & rudders are black, what colours the fin bullets (on one aircraft), tank strip ( on the other) & wingtips & anti dazzle ares on both of them. Maybe RED, they could be a match to the roundel & fini fash reds ????:unsure: It gets interestinger & interestinger. ;)

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks Dennis, those are a bit interesting indeed. 14 sqn unit marks were a white diamond on a black rectangle as can be seen either side of the boom roundels with black rudders, When they later operated Venoms during Operation Firedog, their Venoms had similar unit markings albeit over camoflaged airframes as seen in the photo LSD Modeller has posted in post #5 in the thread. So if the rectangles & rudders are black, what colours the fin bullets (on one aircraft), tank strip ( on the other) & wingtips & anti dazzle ares on both of them. Maybe RED, they could be a match to the roundel & fini fash reds ????:unsure: It gets interestinger & interestinger. ;)

Steve.

I have added a bit of information to post 3 chaps but it's the Meteor T.7 that intrigues me.

Dennis

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Those are gold @Dave Homewood, thanks for the link, maybe not a Meteor photo but they sure do make sense of that photo from Shorty, maybe a T.7 with a red nose panel, red tail fin bullet, 14 squadron diamonds & a Y somewhere & a serial WH206 or WL400, I favour WL400 as that seemed to serve longer with them. Best I count up how many T.7s I have, might need another. ;)

Steve.

• Haha 2

On 09/06/2022 at 09:28, Dave Homewood said:

To answer some questions about the colours on the noses and tails of the Cyprus No. 14 Squadron Vampires, check out the awesome newly discovered coloured photos here:

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/30250/brian-darrahs-fantastic-coloured-slides

Gold there

• Thanks 1