F-22, F-35 Paints new company

JPuente54

Mike, this may belong in the 'Paints, etc.' section as well(or just there); feel free to move it if you are certain. Guys, there have been a couple of threads over the last year or so about the correct color(s) of the F-22 and F-35; and, how to achieve the correct finish. On Tuesday, Nov. 7, I received my copy of the Sept/Oct. 2017 issue of the IPMS/USA Journal. In it was an advertisement for a company called Tru-Color Paint. They offer paints that, according to them, accurately reproduce the finish of these two aircraft. The website points out that they(F-22, F-35) are not actually painted; the color is a part of the low observable material used to reduce their RADAR reflection. I do not know anything else about the company other than what the site says. If their claim is accurate; then, their paints may be the solution to painting all those F-22 and F-35 kits.

The website address is: http://trucolorpaint.com. To go to their list of military paints: trucolorpaint.com/military-paint/. Oh, I do not own any part of this company.

HTH

Joe

• Like 1

Having recently nearly completed a Have Glass V Viper, I can also recommend the following Tamiya combo:

XF-24: 5

XF-54: 5

XF-1: 1

Basically it's equal parts XF-24/54 with a dab of black to make it darker, in like with 36118 (of which Tamiya XF-24 is an excellent match).

It looks the part although getting the metallic sheen is proving tricky. I tried Vallejo's Metal Varnish but it's basically just a gloss. Perhaps adding a drop of Aluminum would do the trick.

9Sf5E.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 9:54 PM, JPuente54 said:

Mike, this may belong in the 'Paints, etc.' section as well(or just there); feel free to move it if you are certain. Guys, there have been a couple of threads over the last year or so about the correct color(s) of the F-22 and F-35; and, how to achieve the correct finish. On Tuesday, Nov. 7, I received my copy of the Sept/Oct. 2017 issue of the IPMS/USA Journal. In it was an advertisement for a company called Tru-Color Paint. They offer paints that, according to them, accurately reproduce the finish of these two aircraft. The website points out that they(F-22, F-35) are not actually painted; the color is a part of the low observable material used to reduce their RADAR reflection. I do not know anything else about the company other than what the site says. If their claim is accurate; then, their paints may be the solution to painting all those F-22 and F-35 kits.

The website address is: http://trucolorpaint.com. To go to their list of military paints: trucolorpaint.com/military-paint/. Oh, I do not own any part of this company.

HTH

Joe

The F-22 and F-35 most definitely are painted. Both came out of their respective factories in primer (mint green in the case of the F-35). There are unpainted areas on the them, as there are on all jets, but overall they are definitely painted.

Well then, I'm wrong. It is not the first time; nor, is it likely to be the last. Thanks Bobski for the info, it is appreciated. I might(more probably did) have mis-intrepreted what is on Tru-Color's site. Still, this company's products do warrant a try.

Joe