visual differences betweeen A-7A/B/C & E?

Davide Calzolari

..only the two 20mm gun little mouth in the first versions and the small pod with M-61 vulcan in the E version?

the refuelling exendable probe was on the same side in all the versions ?

nothing else visually?

thnx in ad.

Edited by Davide Calzolari

The “D” didn't use Probe/Drogue refuelling. They had a boom receptacle on the upper fuselage aft of the cockpit. I know it was offset but im not sure to which side.  As for the Gun’s the A & B had Two 20mm cannon and the D & E had the M61 vulcan. HTH.

The A & B had the air start receptacle of the port (left) side:

a-7b_154479_048_of_198.jpg

the round panel on the left in the above pic. Also there were some panel line differences and the antenna(s) at the tail changed over the years plus there may have been some others.

Jari

The differences around the back end were dictated by engine changes between the A,B and C variants and the D and E versions.

The A,B and C all had versions of the Pratt and Whitney TF-30 engine while the D and E were fitted with the Allison TF-41

One point of difference is what you hang under the wings. For example, you wouldn't see the AN/AAR-45 "LANA" infrared pod on an A,B or C. That was on the E version by the late 1970s and the D version by the mid 1980s

• Like 1

6 hours ago, italian intruder said:

finn,ive spoken of others version,not Ds (i know that one was for air force and had the major usaf sistem "on the shoulder" as refuelling : )

I didn't mention anything about the D, anyway here are some B's with different bumps on the bottom:

ec509e1a15659cc4dce104948fb7dec1.jpg

Some E's with a mix of bumps:

01aaba28088a711a2dac989633dc524b--navy-b

Jari

• Like 2

3 hours ago, italian intruder said:

so,the refuelling probe in all the Navy versions, always on the same side?? seems difficult to be sure about,as seen in many pics-till half 70's-many  corsair don t have it, as seen was a plane with great internal capability

I don't recall ever seeing a probeless Navy A-7A/B/C/D.  The probes were removed on some ex-Navy A-7E's that were delivered to Greece, I seem to remember.

Cheers,

Andre

14 hours ago, vangos said:

All the T/A-7H had their probes removed. All the A-7E, TA-7C that were delivered to Greece had their probes installed.

Ah - thanks for the correction.

Cheers,

Andre