Matchbox F9F-4 Panther

Hello mates!

Here is my little blue Marine Corps Grumman Cat in 1:72. Marine Air Group 33, US Marine Corps, Pohang AB, Korea 1952. I bought this in the nineties and finished the build in 2001. I did a lot of detailing, scribing and extra stencil decals, otherwise it is straight from the box. This was a really good kit at that time, with very realistic outlines. I only changed the cross section at the rear. I hope you like it too!

Cheers!

f9f4_5014f9f4_50l14f9f4_501g4f9f4_50jj14f9f4_501jhg4f9f4_501jjhg4

• Like 46

Beautiful model from a somewhat crude kit, detail-wise! 

My only question regards the ailerons that seem deflected down, both of them. Unless the Panther had some special aileron arrangement that I'm unaware of, ailerons always travel in opposite directions for lateral control – they're not like flaps.

Good modelling over all!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind comments!

No Flaps, for shure! In live mode always opposite. I cannot remember, why i made this totally uncommon configuration 16 years ago. I quickchecked my references. For maintenance and storing there was symmetric deflection possible (Picture of my jacked up Panther "6"). More common is both up: Both are always up before and while wings are folded.

Thanks for the refreshing input, i have one HobbyBoss in my stash, and wanted to make it folded. Maybe i change the Matchbox then.....    :thanks:

Edited by replicant
spilleng
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, replicant said:

No Flaps, for shure! In live mode always opposite. I cannot remember, why i made this totally uncommon configuration 16 years ago. I quickchecked my references. For maintenance and storing there was symmetric deflection possible (Picture of my jacked up Panther "6"). More common is both up: Both are always up before and while wings are folded.

Thanks for the refreshing input, i have one HobbyBoss in my stash, and wanted to make it folded. Maybe i change the Matchbox then.....    :thanks:

Thank you for that interesting tidbit! Obviously, I was completely clueless about this particular feature of the Panther. :think: When I build mine (eventually…), I'll set both ailerons to 'up', just to bait potential know-it-alls! :smirk:

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2017 at 4:46 AM, replicant said:

Clarification: as the wings are folded, the mechanization of the aileron control system across the wing-fold joint moves both ailerons increasingly up as wings go up. They are not up before the wings begin to fold and they are never both down if they are connected to the stick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replicant,

Well, you've done it...again! Hard to believe it's the old Matchbox kit. I am always impressed by your work, both the quality and the volume! Don't sweat the aileron mistake; long, long ago, when I was just beginning to airbrush and use filler, I built the Frog Mosquito BMk IV- opened the bomb bay and the entrance door, and did a lot of exhaust streaking and chipping, and was feeling right proud of myself, until one of our local experts gently pointed out to me that the Mossie, being of wooden construction, would only show chipping around the engine nacelle, which, of course, I knew, but had forgotten! I still get flak on that one when we old-timers get together! (As an aside, sure wish somebody would give us a new-tool F9F-4/5...are you out there, Sword? Hobbyboss?)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I still get flak on

Thank you Mike! Even they come with 8.8, i will post some more old korea stuff of mine and sing for me: always think of the bright side of life......:D

On 12.11.2017 at 00:01, Tailspin Turtle said:

Clarification: as the wings are folded, the mechanization of the aileron control system across the wing-fold joint moves both ailerons increasingly up as wings go up. They are not up before the wings begin to fold and they are never both down if they are connected to the stick.

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for your expert feedback, that´s great to get it here, because i am tailhooked by blog and NF and D&S too, also with lots of the printed stuff. So the Flak hit is not beyond repair: i changed my Oldie now :thanks:

Cheers,

Thomas

f9f4_50d14

56 minutes ago, replicant said:

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for your expert feedback, that´s great to get it here, because i am tailhooked by blog and NF and D&S too, also with lots of the printed stuff. So the Flak hit is not beyond repair: i changed my Oldie now :thanks:

Cheers,

Thomas

Mea culpa on my part. I looked down my nose at the Matchbox F9F-5 kit once upon a time (deep panel lines, vertical fin that was too thin, simplistic detail, etc.) once upon a time. Not a sow's ear or Mach II, but more of a toy than Hasegawa's F9F-2 (http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/10/grumman-panther.html). Your build shows that a real modeler, as opposed to an assembler, can work wonders with it.

• Like 1