PTFE seals for Iwata Neo

Rodders

Hi all,

I've got an Iwata Neo which i've had a few years now but i have to confess i haven't used it much as i think it has rubber seals which i fear won't work with aggresive solvents like enamel thinners and laquer paints. I was going to use it for primers and decanted aerosol paint as i have an Evolution with a 0.15mm needle in i use for acrylics.

I can't find info but does anyone know if you can get PTFE seals like what's fitted to the Evolution. 

Thanks for any help,

Rodders.

I have an Iwata neo, and have used all kinds of solvents thru it....well, Lacquer, Enamel and Acrylic thinners and gun-washes of various types, with no problems of any kind. If you were to leave the air-brush in thinners for a long time, the seals would swell up, and retain their normal size when they dry out. I am a professional Spray-painter by trade, and feel that the seals in an Iwata 'brush are the least of your problems!! My skills with an air-brush are another matter entirely!! 

Generally as Rod has said you won't find any issues unless you leave things soaking but have looked into it.

You didn't say which brush you've got so I've assumes the Neo CN, which has a screw in nozzle as opposed to the Evo's air cap based. I've not seen any PTFE nozzle seals (I'd imagine they'd be damn near impossible to fit), but Airbrushes.com carry Viton O rings which will handle most solvents. The rear needle packing is PTFE already in the CN.

O-ring

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=21407&product2_id=21056

Viton's chemical compatibility chart

https://www.calpaclab.com/viton-chemical-compatibility-chart/

Edited by andybiscuits
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

The one solvent to avoid with Viton is Acetone. Swelling can be as large as 20%. The saving grace is once you remove the acetone it does shrink back again...