Blue Steel Vulcans in anti-flash white

F111Fan

Morning all,

Obviously 617 Sqn carried Blue Steel on their Vulcans when they were wearing Anti-Flash White, but did any others equip with it before they transferred to the grey/green/white scheme? I'm going to reboot my old Airfix Vulcan at some point and want to do a Blue Steel bird in AFW but would prefer something other than XL321... I've tried google and searching here but haven't come up with anything yet - bit I know there's plenty of repositaries of Vulcan knowledge on this forum! Thanks in advance.

On my ATC camp to Scampton in 1969 when the Vulcans were green/grey and white, the Blue Steels were white too. I recall we were taken on a visit to the Blue Steel 'Bomb Dump'  on other side of the airfield. An interesting tour of all things Blue Steel were shown.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

27 Squadron

profile in Osprey Vulcan Units of the Cold War

Google images search "27 Squadron Vulcans" shows 2-3 profiles too

John, 

Marvellous, that's just what I was after! I'll source some decals then; quite pleased about that!

33 minutes ago, F111Fan said:

John, 

Marvellous, that's just what I was after! I'll source some decals then; quite pleased about that!

Fundekals do a sheet that has a good few options generally but features an all white Blue Steel carrier XH555 27 Sqn RAF Scampton 1963 that might fit the bill.  You could probably sell/trade on the unused decals.  Its sold out but you might find a second hand set?

Modeldecal sheet 70 has XL385 of 9 Sqn Conningsby 1963 again a Blue Steel carrier - again if you can find that sheet

42 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Fundekals do a sheet that has a good few options generally but features an all white Blue Steel carrier XH555 27 Sqn RAF Scampton 1963 that might fit the bill.  You could probably sell/trade on the unused decals.  Its sold out but you might find a second hand set?

Modeldecal sheet 70 has XL385 of 9 Sqn Conningsby 1963 again a Blue Steel carrier - again if you can find that sheet

John, 

Thanks for the heads up on those sheets, that's most useful! Also found these, which I assume will fit the bill along with the kit stencils? 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ADTS7228

1 hour ago, CurrantBunbury said:

There's a downloadable instruction sheet on the Fundekals website that might be useful for some profiles. Very nice decals, too. That indicates that 83 Squadron might fit your requirements as well, AND you've got a surviving airframe in XL426 if you want to tell an interesting story. :) 

Currant,

Excellent gen, thanks for that - I'll make sure to bookmark it....

Tom

the Hannants Airdecal sheet has a white Vulcan XL386 which I assume was a Blue Steel carrier as XL385 also of 9 Sqn was - at least according to the info on the decal sheets.  My eyes and monitor are not so great that I can really tell if the last number of the serial is a 5 or a 6 on the Airdecal sheet and if the Airdecal sheet is replicating the earlier subject on the Modeldecal sheet.  No matter really as there are enough spare numbers on the sheet to create any serial you want so I'd buy the Airdecal sheet and then do the XL386 which Modeldecal had on theirs.  Its a tenner well spent

Good luck

John

This fine book will be your friend and guide on everything Vulcan:

http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/the-vulcan-bmk2---from-a-different-angle---2nd-edition-192-p.asp

Off the top of my head, 83 sqn Vulcans were white with BS, and had a beautiful antler marking on the fin. And I think 27 Sqn had white BS carriers too.

Edited by Lord Riot

12 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

This fine book will be your friend and guide on everything Vulcan:

http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/the-vulcan-bmk2---from-a-different-angle---2nd-edition-192-p.asp

Off the top of my head, 83 sqn Vulcans were white with BS, and had a beautiful antler marking on the fin. And I think 27 Sqn had white BS carriers too.

Lovely stuff, thanks!