Ali62

Model bus preferred scale  

8 members have voted

1. 1. scale of choice

• 1/43 scale
    • 1/32 scale
    • 1/24 scale

Hi Guys

I for the past year have been helping out some companies with various parts and getting parts cast for their model bus ranges. I am shortly to do a full pattern for one of the future releases for the one company.

However all of these buses are in 1/76 scale, and to me and for my own personal liking these are just too small.

It is a long throw from my main love and that being all aircraft from the first to the current, but the older and more vintage buses (say 1930's through to 1970's as a general era) just really seem to have something about them that has me interested.

Now I have a few basic questions.

Firstly is there any interest in resin model buses?

Secondly what kind of scale or scales, I am thinking 1/43 or 1/32 as those would not get too big, but would offer some more details.

I know there is the big Revell london bus and a few others in 1/24 but that is just too large and would push the costs a little too far for a limited type run product.

I am not sure I would venture into this but would love too see and hear the feedback.

cheers Ali

• Like 1

I’ve often thought about building a Leyland Atlantean. In my youth they were everywhere in Liverpool and I was a regular passenger on them for many years.

Liverpool_Corporation_bus_L501_(501_KD),

Wikipedia Commons photo

To me this is the archetypal double decker.

All those straight lines. I would even consider scratching one if there was a decent set of plans. Definitely not 1/76 though.

After that, one of these.....

e26d891da963674e271efadba1b12a45--liverp

A Green Goddess tram :penguin:

Trevor

38 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

I know you've said that 1:24 is too big, but some bus conversions for the Emhar Bedford O series kits would be brilliant!

Well that is a good reply, I will have a look into this, had a quick look around on the internet and that maybe a good possibility.

Is there anything in particular that you would like to see, i.e. is there an Australian version or any variant that you have interest in. 

Even better still do you have pictures and or information?

Thanks for the input.

I’m not a vehicle builder and if I were to scratch build, things such as wheels, axles and underpinnings would come from commercially available kits, so something along 1/35 to fit in with the AFV modellers may be feasible?

As to plans, I wouldn’t have a clue. I’ve (half heartedly) Googled from time to time, but there doesn’t seem to be anything out there.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Well that is a good reply, I will have a look into this, had a quick look around on the internet and that maybe a good possibility.

Is there anything in particular that you would like to see, i.e. is there an Australian version or any variant that you have interest in. 

Even better still do you have pictures and or information?

Thanks for the input.

Thanks, Ali - glad you liked it.

I'd be happy with a typical English bus of the '40s or '50s, as seen in the variety of period shows now on the idiot box. There are also a couple of Australian bodies, one in particular an "aerodynamic" body made by Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation after WW2 to keep its workforce employed. PM me an email and I'll send some pictures. I've been looking for some drawings, at this stage without success. The CAC archives have long since been dispersed, but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere.

Hi Ali,

Have you thought of passing your ideas past the truck modellers on the relevant forums on Facebook or similar, this may be of interest to them? There's a Museum in Manchester that have many old buses in their collection  http://www.gmts.co.uk/vehicles.html and one in S. Yorkshire  https://sytm.co.uk/vehicles/museum/index.html both of which would be a good source for getting reference material off the real things. This sounds like an interesting project for you.

Cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

I think buses in 1/43 would be could as they would go with a lot of the diecast cars that you can get. Me personally would like to see Bristol K series and Bristol Lodekkas. Some nice ones are the Lodekka convertibles that Bristol Omnibus used in Weston-super-Mare , to have a look at them the reg's are 866 NHT, 867 NHT, 868 NHT, 869 NHT, 626 HFM, 627 HFM, 841 SHW and a nice Bristol K GHT 127.

Guy's

Thank you all for your input, there are some interesting websites listed, I have already looked at some andI think that there is some potential in some subjects for sure.

I am quite keen to have a look at the 1/24 Emhar Bedfords, but I have a few concerns, generally they start at about £40.00, I have found one supplier on Ebay a little cheeper but with shipping from France they would still work out at £32-£40.00. Once the conversion is made the only items that would be used would be chassis and wheels, well maybe a few more but I think you get the idea. So I need to look at this a little more closely, and see best option, but some large scale single decker buses along this line would be great.

On the other side I think that to build a 'range' 1/43 might be best to tie in with the popular vehicle scale, I have NEVER understood this scale, I have always wished they had gone to 1/48 scale, it would make display with so many aircraft so much easier and nicer. But at the end of the day the vehicle scale is 43 so it may just be best to stick with that scale, but I am NOT adverse to making some larger models as well.

Please do keep ideas and proposals coming as it certainly helps, also remember please to do the vote for prefered scale, even if you do not make any comments.

cheers ali

Excuse me a mo while I pop on my disguise...

...:santa:

...There! That's better! As a closet bus fancier myself, I'm always keen to hear of any new possibilities in the market. I do have a little collection if die casts in 1/76 (nice, but too small) and if I'm building, then I tend to gravitate to 1/24 scale. I agree that it is maybe too large a scale for keeping the costs of conversion kits etc down, but if it's a subject I want, then the cash comes out. I do like the idea of a Bedford conversion, and any bits for the Revell Routemaster would always be welcome. I would love an Atlantean or a Fleetline...but I suspect the cost would be huge I guess. Bit of a curve ball, but how about a minibus conversion for the Italeri Transit? Just a thought. I'll try and brainstorm some more ideas and report back...

Best regrards;

Steve

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Cracking idea!

Well, if it ever comes to fruition, I'll certainly buy a couple. I drove a few Mk 2 Transit minibuses with Royal Mail back in the late 80's, so I would have to have a couple in the collection.

Best regards;

Steve

Me too. I'd recreate the minibus some friends and I hired for a memorable camping holiday around the west country. If a 1/24 Bedford tow truck also appears, I could do a diorama of the time we were winched off the beach at Gunwalloe Church Cove :whistle:

Our two Transit minibuses at RM ended up being bought by our works social club and could be hired for the princely sum of £15 for a weekend. I hired one for a 40's hangar dance at USAF Alconbury in 1992. We filled the bus up, hit the road and had a whale of a time and got disgracefully "faced" on cheap Jack Daniels. It was a £1 a shot, and our very generous US hosts were practically serving up half a pint of the stuff at a time. As a consequence, not one of us was sober enough to drive home...so ten of us ended up sleeping it off over night in our ex RM Transit minibus. Oh! The hangover the next day was monumental! :drink::sick:

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep