SA.365Fi Dauphin 2 - Irish Air Corps

Dermo245

So I'm also in with a Dauphin, picked up at Telford last year deep among the 2nd hand kits..

37492950461_5ba183f3d1_b.jpgIMG_6063

36823606693_b27c542549_b.jpgIMG_6064 

Being Irish, when this kit was first issued in the mid 80s was like Christmas for some of us modellers as five Dauphin 2's were soon to be delivered to the Irish Air Corps between June and December 1986. Operated by SAR Squadron, No 3 Support Wing, the five aircraft combined SAR, Air Ambulance, naval ops (with the Irish Naval Service aboard the LE Eithne P-31) and VIP transport. The aircraft served with great distinction and bravery with Irish Dauphin crews receiving some of the highest national and international decorations for their SAR work in rescues of the Capitaine Pleven II in 1989 and Locative in 1990. These missions were often at night and at extended ranges over stormy Atlantic seas in an a/c type not really suited to that role.

Sadly a/c 248 was lost in a fatal crash along with its crew of four returning from a Search & Rescue mission in July 1999 in Co Waterford.

When our SAR helicopter service was privatised soon after, the Dauphins were retired from service between 2003 and 2004 and all four were sold in 2006 and now operate with the Chilean Navy. If you want to read more about Irish SAR ops, I can recommend this book by Lorna Siggins.

I've previously built the Revell version of this kit as an Irish machine and want to try it again but do a better job with it....my last attempt was a bit rough and ready!

37492974881_48844cc194_b.jpg. by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And that's it.

Thanks for reading and look forward to seeing your Matchbox builds!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photos
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

A little bit more on this one.

Kit contents.

39032435554_7b94d6ea75_b.jpgMatchbox_PK-38_Dauphin (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Excellent reference book

39710048112_fabe5cf239_b.jpgMatchbox_PK-38_Dauphin (5) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Dauphins in Irish service.

39032435224_ebbc6deedb_b.jpgMatchbox_PK-38_Dauphin (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Out with the razor saw on the engine housing..

39032435284_25a7636703_b.jpgMatchbox_PK-38_Dauphin (8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

39032434974_13da465589_b.jpgMatchbox_PK-38_Dauphin (9) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Unfortunately, this one won't make the finishing line as I'm focusing on the Jag and what I'm planning is going to take a little longer. But I'll keep this thread updated for the next month and start a new one once the GB ends.

Thanks for looking.

Dermot.

• Like 4

Dermot,

I've often thought about purchasing that IAC book, however for some reason or another have never quite got there.

Looks like it would be a good read. I see Joe Maxwell's name as co-author, is the book aimed at modellers in any way?

Cheers.. Dave    

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Dermot,

I've often thought about purchasing that IAC book, however for some reason or another have never quite got there.

Looks like it would be a good read. I see Joe Maxwell's name as co-author, is the book aimed at modellers in any way?

Cheers.. Dave    

Hey Dave,

According to the authors introduction, it's a book developed for the 'general reader, aviation enthusiast and scale modeller'. There are colour profiles for many of the earlier types in service (pre WW2 and WW2) because period photos are so hard to find. And while it doesn't have scale plans or dedicated walkarounds/closeups like some other books, I still think it's a must-have if you're interested in the Irish Air Corps. But then again, I'm biased on the subject!!

I'll get some other opinions from the lads in club about it and let you know.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 2

Thanks Dermot, I think you’ve answered my query and it would appear to be the ‘go to’ matter on the subject anyway. When my IAC mojo kicks in again (I’m a shocker for getting hooked on themes like this) I’ll try to source one out. 

Cheers and good luck with your latest build... Dave. 

• Like 2