DH Hornet Moth interior color

neillbill

Just starting the Denko Hornet Moth, the color call out  for the interior just says 'light blue grey'

Going for 'Ariadne' can anyone help me with more detail on the interior? I found some web pictures with a nice looking maroon leather seat/door interior finish and a walnut? dashboard but don't know if this finish was that of Ariadne or some other airframe.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks for that going with the maroon leather interior. Got all the interior bits together and rough painted just noticed the 'parcel shelf' behind the seats wonder if I should do a Fortnum and Mason hamper to go there?

Don't like the transparencies they are mostly clear plastic bits designed the flush fit into very thin resin frames, my chances of doing that cleanly then sanding flush and masking is in the 'too hard' basket. Going to keep the windshield and fill the rest of the openings with Clearfix.

Bill

Ok got the fuselage together starting to figure out the wings looks like a little dihedral needed I got the Putnam DH book it it doesn't say....

The lower wings have a upsweep on the inboard trailing edge, at first I thought the parts were warped but the two wings have the same curve which nicely matches the fuselage so I may leave it unless some of you guys know better?

Bill

I have an interior slide of G-ADNE 'Ariadne'. Seats are red (not 'maroon') leather. Interior and carpets are also red as is the base of the control column stick.

Both sets of wings should have a slight equal dihedral.

Edited by AMB

Great pics; thanks John.  The undersides of aircraft are always the most difficult to find decent photos of.  But what's going on with the root ribs of the lower wings ?

I'm not sure how the loads are transferred from the rear spars to the fuselage, as they seem to be below it (??) I would have thought the inboard ends of the wings would be washed upwards to neatly meet the lower longerons, but they aren't. 

Hello Fellows.

The rear spar fitting is typically DH. There is a metal strap bolted on top of the rear spar. This in turn is bolted to an L shaped bracket attached to the fuselage a'la Tiger Moth. This is how DH typically set the wing incidence angle. There are photos of this in my thread on the Fox Moth in Classic. 

Aft of the spar the root has quite a bit of washout to bring the T/e back up to the fuselage,

Cheers

John

Thanks for the explanation. Never noticed it before, but haven't really studied them that closely thus far. Seems rather flimsy, but clearly worked on a light aircraft.

That complicates making accurate small scale models as so little overlapping area between wing and fuse to put in the mounting provisions.

Am studying the Eagle drawing in conjunction with photos and will send you my observations in due course.

Roger

After a bit of thought I decided to drill and pin (.5mm brass wire) the wing and tailplane attachments. This will let me finish the parts separately and have some wiggle room in aligning the wings. The area around the doors is a mess right now I broke the door window frames, oh well press on....

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

What I forgot to add in post 11 is the true reason for the rear spar bracket design, is that it allows the wings to fold on the rear spar single bolt pivot. The Tiger those wings can't fold retained the fitting from it's Gipsy Moth forebear.

John

• Like 1