Tamiya Stug IV

Bill.B

As my 3rd tank excercise I decide on yet another cheap oldie in the form of Tamiya's 1/35 Stug IV.  As on my two previous tanks I've added a modicum of PE just add a bit of finer detail than the kit provides. Due to the very revealing nature of photos I've already noticed that I didn't remove the flash off the spare track links and I'm sure there'll be plenty more tasks I could have carried out, or done differently, so please feel free to be critical.  

24393694168_4a3f66e2b4_b.jpg

26488583209_6b7683bfc1_b.jpg

38209843216_f299b0f1e9_b.jpg

26488629129_b7efe8ca0d_b.jpg

37554142424_a7fe006655_b.jpg

38232973602_7e612579db_b.jpg

38264897481_ccf4b35009_b.jpg

• Like 14

I have this kit in the stash. It will be my second StuG. I thought I preferred the StuG III, but the rear of the IV might have changed my mind.

An excellent job Bill. I am not going to fault it because I can only see what you've already mentioned.

Any chance of some aerial views?

Rearguards,

Badder

Fantastic tank... I had one Stug IV as well, made it in between those big tanks and used all the leftovers of mixed weathering products on it. It is not too dissimilar in the paintjob as yours. But a lot different in details. Its completely OOTB, but those Tamiya 40 year old kits are fantastic to test painting on and still look decent. 

I used selected items from Eduard's photo etch 'Tamiya Stug. IV' accessory pack, and to complement it I used the Aber 'Stug. IV Schürzen side brackets' accessory pack. The biggest trial for me was the cutting and gluing of roughly 80 minuscule bolt heads for the Schürzen mounting brackets, not a task I'd like to repeat in a hurry! The tracks are Tamiya's own (I know, they're rubbish) and the gun barrel & aerials are also Arbor items. The tow cable is Wilko's multi strand brass wire grafted into to the kit's plastic hawseholes. The shackle hanging off the tow cable is also an Aber item. Paints are Tamiya's XF-60 Dark yellow and XF-67 NATO green, and various AK washes were used along with some Revell pigments for mud and rust etc. I also used some 'AquaFine' oil paints, but at the moment I'm finding it difficult to get the desired effect I want with them. The model was finally sealed with Tamiya XF-86 Flat clear.

As an aside, I am currently assembling a set of Miniart tracks for a Tamiya Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf.N. as I'm not keen on the kit supplied rubber band tracks. They're not quite as good as Friulmodel tracks, but then they're not as expensive either. 

I've re-read your post Soeren and I guess you wanted a list of what Items I used? It was parts like exhaust mounting frame, jack mounting bracket, all of the tool mounting brackets and fastening clips, machine gunners shield (hinged flat in my example), spare track clamps on the rear bulkhead, spare track mounting feature on the glacis, spare wheel cage, fenders, hatch covers and fasteners, tool box clip fasteners and a couple of very small chains. All of the Schürzen PE was used. 

• Thanks 1