1/72 Spitfire Mk1/Mk2a Quick build

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1/Mk2a

Hiya.

I picked this up today purely to use for practice on. Specifically, doing the panel lines. I haven't build anything from Airfix for literally decades. It was suggested by my local bricks & mortar shop for what I needed, due to the new tooling by Airfix.

y4mm6qwNTwjD7CoGTqv9j4YB15oazdhCriYvS74G

And they don't disappoint, the quality is great. Certainly better than how I remember Airfix being years gone past. So I got stuck right in, mainly just prepping the first few pars for the cockpit, and priming them.

y4mEClLseLnRZhOIo49-kbIs0ZSlHJ2PEBA6HscN

I mixed up far too much primer, so I decided to grab a few more bits that I could quickly prime without needing too much work, insides of the fuselage and wheel bays etc. So now they all sit, drying...

y4mumy4lvK298Hzx1RhBvgVz_4C9AYHi1tY025gO

y4moFzx329CqEYyFNO2lwLPsTScVY97_p-b9TN4_

y4m9XNXQTLFt5KP5qmXddGlkL6iH4SnVLHYVnQtt

y4mHPRO3SqeqQgfL_djDXoowh2sCMqen8tDtZZ0_

y4mZWq4RTQ3MBRU0tNYKNrhDXpKp_tK2xpdQJ9fK

I won't be putting a great deal of effort into this, so don't expect too much. It's just for me to get to grips with these panel lines which are starting to infuriate me now lol.

Thanks

D

• Like 2

Cheap auto primer used to be my goto...but after seeing the difference with priming through an airbrush, I can see the advantages.

Once the primer was all set, I mixed up by the eye some green that closely matched what I remember from previous spits, and gave all the internals few coats.

y4mWWVy5lUs2turkrr-TtRHdwuRHuLokNXrHpfKF

y4mH25Hq0QyI78Ou2D5qla7YjInYVpdrGUcL4iCc

I didn't bother doing anything about the ejector pins, as this was a quick kit to practice a few things on.

Next I started on the wee pilot, we shall call him Bob. Started with his jumpsuit first, then the life jacket, leathers, boots etc.

y4mdLT_T_yonGFo1Dk0CeuAQ9eCqJJJcombLg5UCy4m-AzvTrzOtr9Z1t2T3a87oKlGdQfNgY_2E3IgWy4m6PDyepazg0-GIaUjFDNJaM-QyS1T2Al6hvMnby4mgv_DnCQ8S54B_lI5gQqNimTxNjJQ8A61RubTm

And then finally glosscoated, added some lowlights, and a final matt coat to take the shineyness from the jumpsuit/leathers but left it on the life jacket and boots. At this close up the lowlights look pretty dire, but with the naked eye they look ok.

y4mMp8K_1nIxdgh4qGIhI20yEIQebtYWAvH7O9GW

Same thing with the cockpit, green - gloss - pinwash - matt. All together doesn't look half bad.

y4m5AvlxLnRqSkTbBG_s6mRbU5l6tgIsp0FZEURf

y4m6rgv4BZkPKUVajCtjY0T4AD40P5ARo0q02vd0

y4mLv0xO6TE4x2ZWGlzexQ05agra5xfLYgSlCkVg

Unfortunately during service, Bob lost both his feet during a seat fitting session.

y4mQ2I-4mUljtcOqzNvpxyl6V91mv65Rj3oe5axp

And couldn't resist a quick dry fit in the still glossed fuselage...

y4mfKQI1jeQ0meY1-YGS-AQwMFWfzgxwabPoAhuR

Still need to work on my pinwash, but I am slowly getting there. I've notice it works better in grooves rather than just against a single edge.

Thanks

D

• Like 3

Thanks!

Made a little more progress. I decided to use some spirit to see if I could wipe off the pin wash on the inside of the cockpit, which came off really easily, and have another go at it. I made my wash a little thicker this time, and applied it with a severed cocktail stick. The result was much better this time.

So I gave it some more weathering, touch of oil and rust, dry-brushed with some silver, and matt coated to seal in. Looks much better now.

y4mxSsGa3wnZgXRY4OJQjGdtffC6uR124GzZ4CNa

y4mqm11nCoBMpElIjyjFbL3ps63ccqbNzVxAi2Hq

y4mvlQNFNhFPrmeQrEtlDdtcEly1B6CC6JH4fN4l

Thanks

D

• Like 1

Good morning.

Done a fair bit to this over the last day or so. Starting with assembling the basic aircraft, so I can get any joins and seams filled and sanded.

y4mfEwKzUBNCL-axzGx8vzucoPybDYevfk4sjHoO

y4mIv29Ba00rnyb3zMAYwePAqRibCIxOCeoNAhWD

y4mpMXd0a_CRU-eSRkOB0x2uzmhHELve5Rw5AyjS

Then I fixed the wings in place and left to dry. Got everything filled and sanded and masked off ready for a coat of primer. I was lucky when it came to masking the cockpit off as the kit is for two versions, which the canopies are different. On top of that, the canopy fits in nicely without any need for glue. I was able to use the spare one to effectively mask off the cockpit with very little fiddly masking needed. So that was all done and a few coats of primer applied with my airbrush.

y4mMHhxdT6ZOaF8wO5J5cTpoeNpoKnYxDcTulmtM

y4mLvnv8yVOiqCDT_SsrsF7h7CiypDpZ2oIaeKNH

y4mKfB7rfU0xUtE-gIpsn8HMmF2rtVMUg24RouB4

y4m2YhygndbyFFMrIrLYeJR726o1FvEfREGJKTwM

y4mvi-ASfKIISCZ0JGc2PdV7ruAOsF51h8OxdR75

y4mW3txkrvHqrV84b5L9CrvAUipunhcw6Okab0G0

y4m6XtLt_TUmzEzOuTSlfzpTewu1uT_8awCvxL_I

y4mSzToKcmxKyOm6QYSkmsTRpb9jSggUupy-1YKZ

As you can see there was still a little filling that needed doing...

y4m7fI0kXsqWJb8231rI2EQd78ttWox6pEItfGoJ

Once that was sorted, and another primer applied, I started on a new technique (to me): pre-shading. This took a few attempts to get the hang of, and the right way of doing it. Initially, I pre-shaded the primer coat, then applied the colour coat over that. Due to needing a heavier colour coat to cover the primer, the effect was lost.

So, once that colour coat was dry, I pre-shaded that instead, then went over it again with a very light almost translucent colour coat. The result is subtle, which is fine for this scale, but I think for my first attempt, didn't turn out too bad. So far at least...

y4mNIiqTC93b0mFhTKaJlxv0S6Doit_dsv8K8201

y4miM4voZ_h_eQ-YcJGfOLDNiQbVrLZjPuUSQS3n

y4mmgT8Mkud3AkVtTG4la2IhopBBw81KyYlPyXC0

The affect is really hard to photograph. I need to find some way of turning all the auto filters off on my phone :/

y4mZD9Qj5aR-Z06knRmtIegTu0eJK97orvyRCVGs

y4msWoXzG0qX3t2NTwXXKfQ7IlX1vQGtOw3WYtYq

y4mJgEql184C0h15qR2JYRXRzetKMO78OA5jAbXk

Thanks

D

• Like 3

Another update.

Time to do the upper side, but first, need to mask off the lower.

y4m2WDc_7BPc6OfF59oPyf4ylozZOEpbHXS7L96X

Then I airbrushed the entire upper surface with thinned Tamiya Flat Earth, as it was the closest colour I had to hand. (Meant to be Dark Earth - Humbrol).

y4mYATTP5O3lRwNv68bqzVpgOZ1nl1un514Z7QLF

y4mxC3QwsGYQBFLx-azpvm18DRCQ79DABVpXxBts

And finally, I used IJN Green for the rest. I decided, as I was using this kit for practice, to have a crack at freehanding the green with my airbrush. Not an easy task given my unsteady hands and noviceness with an airbrush, but fairly impressed with my efforts.

y4mMS3ssjBdm20e3i8HIitjPQmS4kBHHImfb_loF

y4mU2stFDv0QFEEL8X_-WJnDsxWaupeCev62FJnf

Next task, gloss coat, pinwash, matt coat.

Thanks

D

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dominic_2005 said:

Next task, gloss coat, pinwash, matt coat.

Great work Dominic - I'm very impressed with the freehand dark green :clap2:

Are you doing any decals???  If so don't forget to get them on before the pinwash and matt coat ;)

Cheers - Steve

5 hours ago, Winenut said:

Looking forward to seeing how you go.

Great to see you having a crack at new techniques.

Cheers

Thanks. We're always learning.

29 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Great work Dominic - I'm very impressed with the freehand dark green :clap2:

Are you doing any decals???  If so don't forget to get them on before the pinwash and matt coat ;)

Cheers - Steve

Which I did forget :huh:lol

D

• Like 1