1/48 Hasegawa Sabre, AZ ANG - 80's Matchbox tribute

Do you remember the old 1/72 Matchbox Sabre? I must have made about half a dozen back at the turn of the 80s/90s when I was a kid. I really liked the shape of the aircraft and the cool Arizona Air National Guard decals, not that I really understood what the ANG was back then. I usually built them 'in'flight', it was the quickest and easiest way to get kits built and I was impatient to have a finished 'plane (later, I started doing them gear-down and open cockpit, and I remember being proud of how good they look. They where probably terrible). Browsing Hannats website I happened across Microscale's 1/48 decals for the f-86 featuring the very same Arizona ANG 'roaring lion' scheme, so I couldn't resist. The Hasegawa kit is obviously way more detailed than the Matchbox (but only in one colour plastic, unlike Matchbox's which had some parts in a fetching baby blue, as I recall), but I stayed true to my roots and did it 'in flight' - which required some filling in with Milliput as mature, serious modellers don't do in flight, and the kit isn't designed for that. The decals caused me a few headaches with the long side decal spliting into 3 on the starboard side, line up issues on the nose band and masking-tape lifting off bits, even after a coat of varnish (and others - see what you can spot!). Massively enjoyable blast from the past, now I'm off to run around the living room 'flying' my Sabre.

w9i8n4.jpg

6fqi4o.jpg

f43gj9.jpg

sfh66h.jpg

10omjja.jpg

2dspaav.jpg

fdh6w2.jpg

There's a Sabre in my garden!

2a7sww9.jpg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Lovely build and it’s nice to know I’m not the only that’s runs around with their kits. I personally like buzzing the cats or if it a helicopter hovering in front of the fish tank

I'm 42 going on 11 when I build a kit! Officially, my 'planes are for my son to play with once they're built. He never gets near them.

Edited by Sun Ra
  • Like 1