To stencil, or not to stencil? - Two NMF Spits

warhawk

I very much doubt that they'd have all been religiously re-applied, but certain important ones might have- I suggest picking some you think would be especially important to erks, and leaving off the rest.  That would be MY excuse, anyway!

• Like 1

The Israeli aircraft was not in natural metal but painted silver as it was part of a batch obtained from the Italian Air Force and retained the Italian overall silver scheme with dark green antiglare panel.

Italian silver painted Spitfires in any case carried no stencils, so you can leave this off from a model of this aircraft

Edited by Giorgio N

My thinking is anything repainted (unless refurbished by Supermarine) or stripped is unlikely to have the stencils.  Good thing too as I've just lost two evenings of my modelling life doing the stencils on the 1/72 Tr.9 - on the assumption that it would be fully factory finished on sale to the Dutch AF.

Regarding UFQ, I'm going to do it with no stencils (in fact I think I'll prioritise stripped and repainted ones from now on so as to avoid them! and the camo cowl 'cos it looks nice.  I'll also do it clipped as per Revell 1/32 instructions and a caption in an Alfred Price book of the one and only photo of the plane as Eduard must have used but decided its full span????

Cheers

Will

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The Israeli aircraft was not in natural metal but painted silver as it was part of a batch obtained from the Italian Air Force and retained the Italian overall silver scheme with dark green antiglare panel.

Italian silver painted Spitfires in any case carried no stencils, so you can leave this off from a model of this aircraft

Thanks. That clears the dilemma with the Israeli.

Also, thanks to others for suggestions for the MJ250, I might apply just the most important stencils at the end!