Best Alternative To Acllad II

Crossiant Oliver

I've used some of the Vallejo Metal Color range, they are very good though a bit pricey - they still have a faint odour (maybe alcohol) as well so might be best to buy one of the basic Aluminium colours and see how you get on with it.

Cheers,

Stew

I am a convert to AK Interative's Xtreme Metal paints, so easy to use compared to Alclad (I never really managed to get a good finish with Alclad). They are not acrylic but only have a faint, almost fruity, smell.

Tony Oliver has had great results with the new acrylic paints from Mission Models. He has a thread running in this very section where he tries them on a Mig 15 if I remember correctly. They are acrylic and have an ever expanding range of colours including metallic colours. I have them in stock at a nicely discounted price if you are interested.

Duncan B

I've recently tried several of the Vallejo acrylics mentioned by Stew and found them very, very good. They smell a bit more than normal vallejo acrylics but I don't find this a problem. Vallejo model air metallics are also good but not in the same cathegory as Alclads and similar.

I'm going to use the Vallejo Metal Color paints in my build in the F-104 STGB, you can check there to see what they are like

I second the suggestion for AK Extreme metals. They're so easy to use and don't need a primer like acrylics. They're enamel based but don't have a particularly bad odour.

Good luck with your search.

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Vallejo Metal Color - aluminium - and was impressed enough to go order the steel. They airbrush straight from the bottle very easily.  Flory did what I think is a representative review. One thing about the price is that while, yes, they are £6 a bottle, you are getting 32ml not the 10ml you get with Tamiya for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKtJ2sx3VJY

Edited by Gav G

Vallejo metal colour gets my vote. Just used it on my P-51D and it was very good.  Happy enough that I now have 5 diff shades, and they brush paint well too.  You must make sure the bottles are well shaken and the contents well mixed before use - I actually removed the lid and gave each colour a thorough stirring , as well as just shaking the bottle.

cheers

Jonners