Aoshima nissan GT-R twin build modded vs stock

shood23

Looks pretty sick, as the kids would say. Mind you, I'll never understand why IRL anyone would take a car that's been engineered by some of the best performance car designers in the world to be a serious drivers car alternative to high-end Porsche 911s, and then completely stuff up the ride, handling, driveability, performance and looks in the name of "tuning"...

Each to their own, I suppose, but if I had the money, I wouldn't be spending it at Liberty Walk...

best,

M.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have to agree that the wheels will look better with no decals but I will still probably test just to see. 

I also do agree to some extent on some LB cars being ruined but at the same time they are just show cars so it's more about looks than performance in most cases. 

Check out the LB webite as there are some absolutely stunning cars on there and some that do look a touch odd. 

http://libertywalk.co.jp/bodykit/lb-works/

Shaun 

• Like 1

A little more progress on these kits in the very limited time I've had available over the past few days. It's all been on the LB car as that one is the closest to being finished 

So to start off I've heard A lot of praise recently for the window masks on the amg gt3 tamiya car. Now kit box window masks are not something I would normally use as most are crap but as I have 2 of the same windows to paint I though I'd give the Aoshima masks a try. I'm really happy how they worked, super crisp lines and not 1 little bit of paint bleed. Top job Aoshima. 

20171207_162939

Moving on to the engine bay a little now. I painted the little boxes and tanks that are fitted to the surround. 

20171207_163016

And last bit on the engine the front radiator was painted with molotow chrome as this flat coated car does need some shiny bits. 

20171207_162834

Now onto the interior. From the wheels you will have seen that gulf orange will feature in the colours of the car so what better to match an iconic old colour with than a bit of modern style carbon fibre. It will be semi gloss coated 

20171208_131141

And finally the tub peice of the interior will have the central section all in carbon also. 

2017-12-09_09-47-29

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Progress from today. 

On the standard car I have painted most of the interior parts. 

20171211_195919

And the hood has had another coat of clear applied which should be the final one now. 

20171211_195954

On to the LB car now and it's just been a case of painting up little bits and getting ready to put it all together

The engine hoses have been chrome painted like the radiator. 

20171211_195943

The radiator has been painted with aqua gloss and had the decal applied, just need to paint the bands and I can click it into the car. 

20171211_191356

The head lights have had the decals applied, just need to add the actual light parts and I can get these into the car body. I am having thoughts of stripping the chrome look and going semi gloss black but I'm not 100% yet plus redoing the decal won't be hard

20171211_191243

Hood ducts have had some carbon applied. 

20171211_191342

These little side lights were a pain as they needed a little trimming down but it was only a quick 5 minute job so not too bad. 

20171211_192619

The rear section inside the exhaust openings has finally been painted. 

20171211_191323

The engine bay has been painted and lower windscreen panel has had carbon added. 

20171211_191259

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Mid week update. 

A few little decals added to the interior. 

20171214_102652

Decals added to the windows 

20171214_103628

The wheels are finally finished after the centre cap decal was added, I did try the tyre decals but they where very oversized so chose to take it off again. 

20171214_102722

The engine e is now on the chassis.

20171214_102736

The hood ducts are finally in also, they were a little bit of a pain as they didn't properly fit so need to be filed down. 

20171214_103606

The lights are also now in the car. A little touch up is needed but over all I'm happy. 

20171214_102707

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 5

Looking very nice Shood! I wasn't keen on the grey to start with, but now you've gotten this far it has grown on me and does look good. Good job!

I've been stalled on an C-West RX-7 for 3 years now just because I can't figure out what colour to do the interior. But I like the Gulf orange idea so might do a variation on it. Thank you for the idea/inspiration. :)

looking forward to seeing these built.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was going to update on the progress of the weekend but I cant add the pictures at the moment until either britmodeller or flickr sort out what ever problems they are having. 

To noeyedears Honestly I cant take credit for the carbon, scale motorsport really can produce an amazingly easy to use product plus a little help from microsol and a hairdryer. 

And dazzio I was in the same opinion about the grey mainly as it is such a close shade of grey as the primer I used but after the matt clear and some decals went on it really grew on me, to the point i really want somebody to bring out a 2016 or 2017 spec redbull f1 car as they have a matt finish to them. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Finally I can update this build with pictures. 

So staring off I have made a start at painting all the smaller bits of the car that will be needed when I get near completion. 

So the rear diffuser which I'm in 2 minds about using as it not full width. 

27421346159_4ca8fc1112_k.jpg

The front splitter has been painted and carbon decal added. There are a few little bits where the decals got torn or bubbled but thankfully all in areas that will be under the main shell. 

24336228257_b53bde36de_k.jpg

The interior is now done minus the 2 speakers behind the rear seats. 

38490069964_ca69ab2a5e_k.jpg

It was at this point I found I couldn't post pictures so got a little annoyed and just carried on with the build without taking any until I found a way to post. 

So the window part was stuck into the shell and the shell stuck on the floor pan. 

27421395699_9bdaae9805_k.jpg

On testing the shell out on the floor pan I noticed the wheels rubbed massively so have to bend the suspension parts by around 1mm and make a few little 1mm shims to go in the upper suspension mount so the car didn't just sit straight back down where it once was. 

39169932602_6de4569900_k.jpg

And now just to show the amount the rear wheels would stick out on a standard body car. 

24336217157_595e7cd963_k.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

That looks stunning, put in the right setting it could be mistaken for the 1:1 version!

Looking forward to seeing the standard version next to this one

Roger

Utterly brilliant 'look' to the LB car... in the end I bought a Spec-V kit, (sort of half-way between your two !). Won't be on the bench for a while but already looking forward to it. Going to use this thread as a guide to get the 'look' I'm aiming for. BTW - the Rising Sun motif - genius !

Ian.

Thanks for the comments guys. 

And Ian the rising sun was actually included in the kit decals, well 2 sets 1 light and 1 dark so very soon I will have another LB project on my desk (after a couple of f1 builds I have planned for the new year) 

Also just a side note while I am talking about rising suns. I have made up a japan themed base for the kit which it will be displayed with when done. 

Shaun 

So it's that time of the build where I am basically at the end, for the LB car anyway, and looking forward to the next one. 

The progress from the last few days. 

The little side vents have been painting in gulf orange and flat clear. 

20171228_150308

Same with the mirrors. 

20171228_150319

The front splitter has been glued on. 

2017-12-29_04-25-22

I have to admit I was going to paint the side intakes gulf orange also but forgot to do it. So a nice layer of carbon decal has been added instead. 

20171229_132322

After the clear coat sealing the carbon was dry I went ahead a glued on the side vents. 

20171229_141327

The rear diffuser has had carbon decal added to it. 

20171229_141338

Not much of it will be seen once one the car but it is a nice touch. 

20171229_141354

Now just to add the mirrors, exhaust tips and wipers and a few little final touches and I should be able to call this done. 

Shaun 

• Like 3

Thank you roger I maybe would go as far as that but that's only because I can hide the bad parts lol but it does always help when the kit is as good as it was to put together. 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

Right so it's that time for the LB GT-R. 

It's done, finished, completed and any other word to use for it. Honestly this kit was a pleasure to build some parts were a little tricky but as a whole it was a great kit from Aoshima and I would highly recommend it to all of you, plus I may just get my self another one to do something really unique or maybe just wait for the version 2 to come out or just get both. 

Here a quick picture of the base I forgot to add in yesterday also. I think it's very fitting for the car and it's history. 

20171230_125536

And also now as 1 car is done I will be putting up a thread for it in the ready for inspection section of the forum later today, so here is also a quick peek at the finished article. 

2017-12-30_05-36-38

Also now I can fully concentrate on the standard car and get them together again in the not to distant future as it mainly the clear coating that is holding that car up. 

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

So picking this thread back up. 

With the LB car now finished I am only concentrating on the stock car (aswell as the other builds I have going) so just a reminder where I am. The interior is mainly done and it was just the body finish I am working on before getting bits stuck together.

The body has been rubbed back with 4000 and 6000 micro mesh sheets and is now ready for a top coat. 

20180129_150444

The only decal that had to go on the body was the Nissan badge. All the other GTR badges will be painted on when ready. 

20180129_150429

I'm not to sure what I want to do with the wheels. I did think of changing them for some nismo spec wheels from an r34 gtr but they were a little too small and would have looked silly in the bigger openings on this car. Another thought I had was to paint these in the goldish bronze colour older gtrs had or just black them out and go semi gloss black. I can say for deffinate they won't stay silver. 

20180129_150500

Right so now on to some not so good news. 

The hood/bonnet was dropped and paint chipped off the corner. So I've had to strip it and start again.

20180129_135756

Although it does have a nice marble type effect. 

20180129_135806

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23

• 4 weeks later...

Right so again after a month of just sitting around I pulled this back out. Honestly this has gone to about 3rd in line now of importantness with the f1gtr taking up so much time and also as we are now in the f1 launch season the SF70H has been given a lot more love but this is slowly moving along in the background. 

Also another big reason why the car hasn't taken any major steps is I used Mr hobby top coat gloss on the car and that's had to of been left to fully cure before I can do anything else, I've been told it's very much like Tamiya and takes a long time to fully cure so around a month is normally the time for Tamiya so I've treated this the same. 

So this was the body about 3 weeks ago. 

20180201_160608

And this is it now. 

20180201_160637

Hopefully over the weekend I can buff out any bad bits and get on to painting the rest of the splitters and other little areas. 

I didn't like the wheel colour and decided to strip the plating and redo myself. This is after primer. 

20180215_155316

And now in a semi gloss black look. I do need to add one small decal but this will be done later then a coat of semi gloss to seal it. 

20180222_185958

And finally for this time the hood which I had to redo has finally had a couple of layers of clear added. The lighting exaggerates the effect on how the clear coat has gone down. Also I can't get a good enough picture to show the effect of the special white colour, maybe organic light may show this better. 

20180222_190200

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1