Stalks on the mudgaurds of scammell pioneer?

Hewy

Could anyone tell me what the long stalks with a little ball on top are for on the front mudgaurds of the scammell pioneer, and if these were fiited during or post war, are they maybe some form of side light? Cheers

Glynn

Width indicators , set to width of widest part of vehicle, to let driver know if vehicle can fit through narrow streets. Mostly seem to have been fitted to later vehicles if photographic evidence is to be believed .

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1/72 I replace them with cut down insect pins.

There are different gauges available so there might be some suitable for larger scales.

Cheap and one pack lasts a lifetime!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

Width indicators , set to width of widest part of vehicle, to let driver know if vehicle can fit through narrow streets. Mostly seem to have been fitted to later vehicles if photographic evidence is to be believed .

Andrew

19 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

Andrews spot on.

if you ever get to sit in one you can't see the mudguards from the cab at all. It takes some getting used to driving with them especially down the roads. But open country... no issue :-) 

19 hours ago, badger said:

In 1/72 I replace them with cut down insect pins.

There are different gauges available so there might be some suitable for larger scales.

Cheap and one pack lasts a lifetime!

Thanks gents I'm in two minds whether to put them on the pioneer I'm  building, they aren't included in the kit (along with other bits and pieces) but most of the period photos I've seen don't  have them, only a few later ones and restored examples. 

Glynn