REVELL 1/72 HALIFAX MKIII QUESTIONS

Juan R-S

Dear friends,

I just purchased the Revell Halifax MkIII kit. Excellent molding, at least inside their plastic bags.

The instructions say you can build a MkIII, MkV and a MkVII. However, I do not see the wing extensions for the MkVII version.

Also, I believe the MkV used different engines than those of the MkIII kit.  My question is:  did MkVII used MkIII wings during its development, therefore justifying Revell's claim that you can build a MkVII?

The same question goes with the MkV version. Funny thing that with the above versions available in the kit, Revell only offers decals for two MkIII schemes.  Thank God for Xtradecals!!!  I may have to hold on to my Alley Cat wing extension conversion from MkIII to MKVII if I cannot use the kit wings.

Finally I heard a rumor that Airfix is working on their own version of the Halifax MkIII. Anything true about that? I thought Airfix parent company was having financial troubles. Would not see them committing to a four engine kit if that is the case. 

Thanks for all replies to my queries.

Juan R-S

No, you cannot do a Mk.V, although the kit does provide undercarriage parts for this which would have been better provided with the earlier version.

I'll have to check, for I thought that the kit did provide the extended wingtips.  These were seen on late Mk.IIIs, the Mk.VI and all later versions.  The Mk.VIIs were built as Mk.VIs but with the engines from the Mk.III - AFAIK they all had the extended wingtips.

Rumours come easy, but I'd love Airfix to do a Halifax, given the remaining problems with the Revell one.  (Wheels, ailerons, etc.)

• Like 1

The III kit comes with the late, round wing tips appropriate for late IIIs and other later marks as well as the earlier square tips, associated more commonly with Merlin engined variants and early IIIs. 

The III kit indeed only comes with the Hercules radial engines; the V had Merlins. The defining feature of the V is the undercarriage - in other respects it’s like a II (with all nose/propeller/tail variances too occuring with the sub type.

I think that the III kit also includes the clear tollerton nose which wasn’t fitted ho Hetcules powered variants but the part isn’t included in the earlier I/II boxing strangely enough.