Trumpeter T-34-85 winterized (Revisited)

This is the old Trumpeter kit in 1/16 scale, turned out not bad.  There's a foot of snow and it's -19C right now so it ain't going outside for pics.

I got a little snap happy so there's lots of inside pics.  Tried my first attempt at some oils, a little burnt umber here and there and hopefully that will get better. It's really subtle

and the camera doesn't hardly show anything, of course when you miss something the camera finds it but when you want to show something you can't. That's muck on the fenders

and rear plate not burnt umber oils.

There are 2 shell racks and about 30 shells inside that turret but of course you can't see anything with it in place and barely anything with it upside down. Another waste, but I know they are there.

It's mostly done and here it is.

8SiJb9i.jpgUMKg4gV.jpgnMdl7pV.jpgZwdGPvl.jpgkPIeiMm.jpgbFO9486.jpgftvMumA.jpgboHHfVH.jpg3o9jzKK.jpgmw8qwqY.jpgUlTJXUC.jpgU2rDpAL.jpgdp2lpWN.jpgMNGZNTR.jpgOG1SB34.jpgBPy9loi.jpgrS956KE.jpgnWPj9tu.jpgkTSRbQp.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Another one for your wish list!

The running gear looks very cool with its rubber bands.
I do not know if it will be like that, but I think you have made the best decision with the interior work, if the kit allows you to fold / open some hatches without breaking or spoiling and you can easily separate the top part of the model, you already have the best of the "two worlds" without problem.
I would have opted for the same, to cut (and more expensive kit), I just do not like it, and do so much work to not see it later is nonsense.
Cheers Lloyd :yes:

Francis

Those aren't rubber band tracks, they are something like 72 individual links per side and love the way they snap together.  More manufacturers should copy that idea.

All of my 1/16 vehicles have the upper hulls removable so show the detailed interiors.  I think it's the best and easiest way to display but of course I have to open 

them to show anything.  The only one I couldn't get the hull open on was the original 1/16 Jagdtiger I built and in a fit of passion after wasting weeks on that

glorious interior I attacked it with a size 13 boot.  It didn't survive, amazing how many small pieces are in these kits when they are all over the floor and some

even in the aquarium.

If my second Jagdtiger ever comes, ordered Sept 5 and still not here, I have a plan to make the upper hull removable.  If I can't then it will be closed up with just the 

roof of the fighting compartment loose, we'll see.

Oh yes, the 1/16 King Tiger came with a clear turret and upper hull for display.  I didn't use them and if someone with the skills to paint and use them in a 

diorama of a wrecked King Tiger or maybe one under construction wants them then they are available.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks John

My skills at winter camo still aren't that great, they all tend to look worn and weary but that's probably enough white wash.  I can't have every model in white.

I also have to learn how to use oils.  Either not enough so nothing shows or too much that gets everywhere and not fun to clean up.  Also it stinks, I'm

used to the Tamiya acrylic having hardly any smell and this paint thinner isn't odorless like the can claims. The boss lady isn't thrilled and this is a summer job

when it's not -19C outside and the mess and stink can go out into the back yard.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Jim

Need a break, all I see is white everywhere I look.

This one won't run very well because I couldn't find any fine wire so didn't bother putting the fuel injection lines on the engine.  Hard to start that big diesel

with no fuel.

I also made a log for the left side running board to use as an un-ditching beam but haven't installed it.  Not sure I like the look so left it off for now, may just

put a longer tarp on there as it looks rather bare.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Hi Floyd,

Nice job. Love to see all those hatches open. Get that rear end open as well!

I've only just started dabbling with oils, so I'm no expert, but I would think they are less suited to winter camo schemes than any others. With the majority of the model painted white you have very few options for 'filters'. A blue filter springs to mind, but that's about it. But if you are going for a whitewashed vehicle that is extremely dirty, muddy and rusty then you could use heavier oil washes and get a lot more colour variation. 

Rearguards,

Badder

Right, just as there's only two "LL's" than there's no "F" either, my folks actually wanted to call me Floyd as my dad was Lloyd but glad they decided not to.

The oils don't seem to work that well on white, I either don't get enough or too darned much, either way it don't look good.  Just for sh**s and giggles last night I tried pouring the oils to the back half of the turret and it looked

pretty bizarre.  So after 20 Q-tips and half a bag of cotton wipes I managed to get most of it cleaned up, won't try that again.  Not to mention it gets pretty cool with the windows open to vent the place.

Boss lady was not impressed and neither was Mr. Cat.

So next summer when I can go outside I'll try some more oily experiments, for now acrylic washes will have to do.

Thanks for commenting, as usual you have some good points. mostly....

Too late for the rear end opening, didn't fit that well so it's shut, forever I hope.

LLOYD

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Haha 1

Hi Lloyd. That is very impressive. I do like the way you have done the interior and the whitewash finish looks spot on to me! Excellent large scale modelling! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...
  • BlackMax12 changed the title to Trumpeter T-34-85 winterized (Revisited)

Went back to this and cut down some of the glaring white.  Gave it a brown wash and a black wash and it does look more natural.

I don't want to really muddy it up so this is about as dirty as it gets.

The camera didn't do it justice, it's actually quite a bit dirtier in real life.

The last 3 photos are in the display cabinet and it looks more like it actually is.

DXTMiOU.jpgOvOtYxw.jpg8MVRVuT.jpgtRVZmGY.jpgaPjBB6Y.jpgBRji9kV.jpgpP3PD68.jpgY828mwj.jpgcsiChDk.jpg

HWs3MtY.jpgIt3Srup.jpg8eFmScm.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...