Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk 1, X4782 high-altitude blue trials

Hi All,

Remarkably, this is my first Spitfire in about 30 years – the very nice Airfix 1/48 Spitfire 1. The only thing I really didn’t like about it was the undercarriage fittings (legs to base attachment especially).

Anyway, this is my take on X4782 that was used for trials at the A&AEE with high-altitude sky blues during 1941 (see Paul Lucas article in SAM May 2017), these ultimately leading to the adoption of Deep Sky. This Spitfire is shown wearing one of the interim, trial colours, Extra Dark Ultra Blue. This was somewhat lighter and brighter than Deep Sky, with a reflectance of 12% - i.e. practically the same as Dark Earth. I concocted this via a long iterative process using Vallejo Azure 902 (not MAP Azure), Dark Blue 930, Ultramarine 893 and even a dash of Schminke ink, Dark Blue. I had a local commercial paint chip (a Resene colour) that was a close match to Deep Sky (thanks Nick!) to work backwards to Azure Blue. Besides a reasonable stab at the correct hue I had to get it to match the Dark Earth in tone/reflectance (took picture of a test piece and then converted to greyscale – haven’t tested to check that it has worked on the model though). Dark Earth and Dark Green were Gunze and Tamiya acrylics respectively.

Might do another in the Day Fighter trials schemes next.

Cheers

GrahamB

DSC_0013

DSC_0014DSC_0012DSC_0015DSC_0016

Edited by GrahamB
corrected image posting
  • Like 42

Now that is a neat way to finish a Spitfire! I don't remember ever reading/seeing about this trial before so it's great to learn about it, as well as to enjoy such a fine build. The blue is so interesting against the camo. Bravo!

Thanks chaps. Pretty, ain't she?  It should be more worn and scruffy on the DE/DG tpsides but any significant weathering usually turns to custard when I try this.

It is wonderful how all these articles are appearing about RAF colours via Paul Lucas and Nick Millman (top man!). Ian Huntley produced similar pieces (e.g., on Deep Sky, PRU blue etc) way back but many have forgotten about them and he didn't often support them with documents. In the Lucas article it is mentioned that another Spit, P7661, was finished in a lighter blue (Dark Ultra Blue, 18% reflectance), with yet another P8021 possibly in PRU Blue (or Cosmic as it was probably called at that time).

Cheers

GrahamB

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...