Airfix (old) Phantom

Hello All,

Here's the Phantom that I tried but failed to finish in the 24 hour GB earlier this year. I was hoping for some outdoor shots but it's too late in the year now, so I took some photos at the bench with my phone:

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

And with my Airfix F-111 from the GB - I was expecting the Phantom to be a lot smaller but it is not:

IMG_7185.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Remember building that kit many years ago as a teenager and being disappointed that the window between the Pilot and RIOs cockpits being solid. Had to chip away at it. 

Good job though on such an old kit. It occurs to me that the new Airfix Phantom is the first F4 from them since that kit. What took them so long?

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Hello,Adrian - Magnificent work on these classic Airfix beauties.The Phantom is a real trip down memory lane for me.I built it eons ago and your skills show how good the kit is.Great to see.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Very nice job on a kit that is almost as old as me!  I must have had it in what?  the first part of the 1960's?  It must be cracking on for 50 years old now surely.

Great job giving lie to the old saying about not being able to make a silk purse from a sows ear.  

• Like 1

They both look really good well done. I remember building the Airfix F-111 and I think the old Airfix Phantom as well, seeing these makes me feel like building them again even though I normally only build WW2 stuff. 

Don't forget to vote for Airfix the Golden years in the 2018 group build poll if your into old Airfix kits.

• Like 1

A cracking pair of Airfix golden oldies there. That is proper modelling, taking a basic model and pummelling it into obedience.

Someone has posted an Airfix Boston elsewhere and I’d forgotten they did one. Ditto the ‘Vaark’. Both need re kitting!

Trevor

Predictive Texas wanted to type Vaseline instead of ‘vaark’!

• Like 1

On 06/11/2017 at 23:36, noelh said:

What took them so long

Well better late than never! I'm still waiting for a Beaufort though, even though they did the other famous pair of Bristols (one for @CedB!) - looks like I will have to build the Frog kit to make it happen...

On 07/11/2017 at 00:01, mcdonnell said:

classic Airfix beauties

The box art for the Phantom looked really great. That may have been the high point of the kit.

17 hours ago, old thumper said:

seeing these makes me feel like building them again

Don't! Build the Hasegawa F-111 and wait for the new Airfix Phantom. Somehow those two kits seemed harder to bring up to scratch than my normal WWI and II models from kits of the same vintage. I think I somehow expect a modern jet model to be crisper and cleaner, and I failed in that respect on both of these. It was fun trying though (I suppose!).

Thanks All,

Adrian

• Like 3

Really nice.  I loved building the USN one back in the day, although I liked the Vigilante even more.  The only problem i remember having with the USN jets when I built them (aged 10-12, early 70s so PROPER boxings) was the never drying gloss white undersides!

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Really nice.  I loved building the USN one back in the day, although I liked the Vigilante even more.  The only problem i remember having with the USN jets when I built them (aged 10-12, early 70s so PROPER boxings) was the never drying gloss white undersides!

Cheers

Will

Haha. Wasn't the Airfix F-4 originally issued in white plastic? I seem to remember sticking one together and putting the transfers on and it looked quite good! Might be my memory playing tricks though..

Ps. Beautiful models Adrian.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IanC said:

white plastic?

Quite so - mine was a white plastic one, but I did paint the bottom regardless this time around! I was always happy to see one in blue plastic for WWII and cream plastic for WWI - no need to paint underneath!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 08/11/2017 at 14:46, AdrianMF said:

Quite so - mine was a white plastic one, but I did paint the bottom regardless this time around! I was always happy to see one in blue plastic for WWII and cream plastic for WWI - no need to paint underneath!

Thanks,

Adrian

Yes, memories... It takes us back as well to the RA-5C Vigilante release. 

The F-111A first issue (prototype) was also a blue plastic . Wasn't the E type blue ?

Concerning the Airfix Phantom, it is still the only F-4 model sporting an all moving tail.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments! I hope we can all kindle fond memories of building a state-of-the-art all-new Airfix Phantom!

Regards,

Adrian

17 minutes ago, AV O said:

all moving tail

Erm, I have a small confession to make...     :whistle:

12 minutes ago, glatisant said:

older kits getting built

Well I had to build the old Phantom so I could say "Oh no, I've just finished a Phantom and look what Airfix have done now!" :) If they have a pile of new Airfix Phantom boxes at Telford this weekend I expect to see a lot of happy faces...

I need to get my old Airfix Mitchell built pretty sharpish too! Happy days.

Regards,

Adrian