Corsairs KUTA

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Throwing my hat in the ring with an AMT Beech Staggerwing. I bought this kit about 18 months ago on SWMBO’s urging and built it and got it about 80% done. It still needs landing gear and a re-paint. I was going for a drafted staggerwing by the US Navy, in early war two tone camouflage.

I’m thinking i will change and go with a civilian version with a retro/vintage colorscheme. I have already replaced the kits radial with a better version from my spares. Also dressed up the interior a little bit. I will add photo’s of whats done when i can get home. If i actually finish this i might have a second option for a second KUTA build. This will be Dedicated to my Brother Mike RIP 😢

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Sorry life getting in the way again, but here are the photo’s of my Staggerwing. First the plane CGlEl0d.jpg

Starboard and head-on↕️

ne7T36H.jpg

Next the leftover bits i have to finish this. ⬇️bGaYD2y.jpg

↕️zCHWgcX.jpg

As usual any comments, questions, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

I didn't forget this. Im just trying to finish my A-4 WIP. A link if you care to ✔️ It out.  

Ok so i started to sand down the paint from my previous attempt. I was trying to work up a civilian scheme for this either original or Refurb/Restoration in more recent times. Sadly i keep going back to a Drafted plane in WW2. 

So If anyone out there have any ideas please speak up. I will opt to go with the option i like best wether its my idea or yours. I am even tempted to do this in RAF Colors as i think they operated a few in the war ? Oh well like i said Im open to ideas. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I’ve been working hard to play catch up with other builds. Im able to do a little work on this. First photo shows the two supports i added for the windscreen. ⬇️h1nbChG.jpg

And i sealed up the landing gear bays like this. ⬇️VCdq6YE.jpg

I did this for a reason. Im going with a post war cheap sell off aircraft. I am going to do a bush plane in alaska sometime late ‘40’s or early ‘50’s. I scratchbuilt two Skis for the main gear. Not to bad i think. MjNjTJ0.jpg

They still need some work and will be test fitted later this weekend. I also gave the Beech a new paintscheme today. It needs a clearcoat and i will try to shoot more photos soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@SleeperService ... I hope yours is a Roden or other example this AMT is not very good. Im afraid this is an 1950’s molding that makes Lindberg look good. Its a SWMBO pick though so i must finish it eventually. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Yes I've been fortunate to pick up the Roden kit for my build, the windscreen cracked but a replacement is on the way.

Keep going and you'll make the sunlit meadows of success.

• Like 1

Hello everyone ... So an update on this build. I finished the skis & mounted them, including the tail ski. They still need touch up work and paint. I gave the plane a repaint, & I opted to do this all by hairy stick. I wanted this to look all beat up and hand painted in a generally worn down way. Remember this is supposed to be a bush plane and the pilot is trying to do more things than he can handle to get his business off the ground. These bush planes get used in severe environments. Right now its been covered in future waiting to put the serials and a few other decals. 

To give the plane a little more of a story i painted the pilots name and his business for advertising. In real life Mike was my brother and he was a great lover of the out doors like myself. Sadly he died in 2010 from pancreatic cancer. So im dedicating this build to him. Ironically though he hated flying. 

Now for some photo’s. A quick overhead to give you a look at the paint. ⬇️

Fr5bvTk.jpg

And a angle from above and behind. ⬇️Oy0ExCO.jpg

Next up a look at the front and lower wing. I know the engine is offset. Not much i can do at this stage so i will hide it behind the prop/spinner. ⬇️RNi7372.jpg

Last a quick look at the tail ski which weirdly came with the kit in a sense. I took the kits tail wheel nipped it flat and used the kits closed door option for the tail wheel reshaped to make it. ⬇️

SRs7pv3.jpg

As usual any Comments ? Questions ? Or Jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ... Im almost finished with this. Heres a quick update. With Ski’s, serial, doors, and glass. nxGGJmP.jpg

I know they're dark but these wete quickies. After working on my Achilles for the Sherman group build. Heres a frontal shot. b6DOs6W.jpg

Last up is to show how i rigged the door open. My thinking was since its supposed to be a bush plane. Why not modify the door to swing up out of the way for bulkier items.  spwJr86.jpg

Just a few things left and she’ll be done. Thanks for looking.

Dennis

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...