M4A2 in PTO

bigfoot

I'm planning on starting modelling an M4A2 in the Pacific and I've got the dragon PTO late kit as my base. I'm basing the model on pictures I've found in Raymon Guiliano's book Sherman's in the Pacific War of late M4A2's on Peleliu.  There's a couple of interesting features that I'm trying to find some more details on but I can't find much good information.

the first is the .30cal mounted in front of the commanders hatch and the mounting used on it. Does anyone know of any pictures or info about how this was mounted?

the second more important one is the remenants of the wading stacks on the back.  I want to scratch the lower part of the stacks as many of the pictures show the Sherman's still carrying the lower portion.  Does anyone have plans/measurements and/or good photos of these stacks? 

If anyone has any info on these they can share please do!

Tank workshop do the oil drum style and the intake style as resin conversion parts. 

For example..

http://www.tankworkshop.com/newshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=41

Google is your friend in this case.

I can have a look In Hunnicutt later and see if there is anything more specific.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

DSCF5153_zpsc3889a8a.jpg

DSCF5152_zps96314090.jpg

As far as the .30cal goes, they didn't last long. The Japanese tendency to suicidally attack any and all tanks by climbing over them negated any usefulness of having the mg. They had to stay buttoned up. and rely on the wing man and infantry.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2017 at 9:11 PM, Plasto said:

Tank workshop do the oil drum style and the intake style as resin conversion parts. 

For example..

http://www.tankworkshop.com/newshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=41

Google is your friend in this case.

I can have a look In Hunnicutt later and see if there is anything more specific.

Cheers

Plasto

Thanks Plasto, I've already come across the Tank workshop sets in my research.  The oil drum sets weren't used on peleliu and the cost of the sets and shipping to the uk are somewhat prohibitive, especially as I don't want to use the whole set.

AgentG - those are some very useful pictures, thanks for sharing. I know the .30 wasn't used often as you say, but the reference pics for the tank(s) I want to base my model on did have them mounted, at least at the time of the photos so I want to include it.

The tanks have the split commanders hatch. The entire assembly rotated and thus had a fitting for the pintle mount cast into it. It was normally used for a .50cal.  Top photo is an early-mid model of this hatch, the bottom is a late version used as a loaders hatch on a 76mm tank. In the top photo you can see the .50 cal cradle in the mount. No big deal to switch that with a .30cal mg and it's cradle. 

Related image

Related image

Edited by AgentG

I don't suppose it made any real difference in traction which way they went on.  To my very simple mind, the "right" way with the chevron pointing down at the front - as on the left of this pic - is the wrong way.  It seems more logical with the chevron pointing up at the front - as on the right of this pic - thus providing more of a "scoop" effect on the ground.

There's a clip of a British Sherman being loaded into an LST for D Day which pops up on docu-history programmes which clearly shows 2 different link types on the same side.  A metal chevron track containing a short run, maybe 6 or 8 links, of 3-bar cleat.

Tank used to do an excellent 0.30 late mount, sadly now OOP and impossible to find.  Voyager have various resin-and-etch 0.30 mounts, but all require you to roll the barrel jacket from a flat sheet.  Yuk.  The Verlinden ones are a bit naff, if you can still find them: moulds showing their age  It's about time Live Resin got round to doing M1919s, having done M2's to death.  I thought TMD did one, but it seems they only do the Jeep dash mount - which has the gun and the right yoke but no ammo box cradle.  The RB Models brass 0.30 barrels are nice.  The Eureka XXL M4 tow cable set comes with 2 resin barrels, which are passable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Agent G - those photos are really helpful, just need to source the bits for it now, have to have a delve through the Sherman stash for them.

DA - I picked up a pack of the Tasca .30 MGs for a decent price on eBay not too long ago so I will be using one of them. They don't have the right cradle but I can source/make that part.