Question about aftermarket for Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb

28ZComeback

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any needed or suggested aftermarket upgrades for the beautiful 1/48 Airfix Spitfire  Mk. Vb?  The finished kits I have seen on the web and otherwise look fantastic without the resin or photoetch, however perhaps one of the readers and/or Spitfire experts can suggest some upgrades that take the overall look of the kit up a notch?  I am thinking of adding the CMK cockpit and perhaps the Vector exhausts. Many thanks for your thoughtful response. 

Edited by 28ZComeback
Spel

Have a read of @Basilisk  build of the Spitfire Mk.I (which is essentially the same kit apart from armament) 

Given the notoriously tight tolerances on the kit, and the good general basic plastic a resin pit maybe more bother then it's worth.   The linked build has a lot of good tips if you really want to add to the base kit, and the UC leg attachment advice is really worth considering as the kit method is maybe the worst design feature of the kit.

HTH

Hi Troy. Quick diversion: I looked through Basilisk's thread and wondered about his using silver/aluminum (ium) for the fuselage sides starting at the seat bulkhead. Was this a painting feature on early Spits, or was it standard for the whole series? I've always taken the cockpit green back one bulkhead further.

Cheers,

Pip

9 hours ago, Seawinder said:

silver/aluminum (ium) for the fuselage sides starting at the seat bulkhead. Was this a painting feature on early Spits, or was it standard for the whole series?

AFAIK this was standard,  cockpit in grey-green,  rest of interior was aluminium dope.

At some point there was a change to all grey-green, but later in the war,   as late as late 44/45 is possible,  one of those things that's hard to pin down.

Definitely listen to all advice on the landing gear - it *can* come up very nice but is a pig to get right. Also the cowling just forward of the cockpit sits very noticeably proud on these, so any aftermarket that claims to correct this is worth looking at. I've corrected it by sanding from the bottom, but again it's a pig. The aerial mast is also worth a lot of dry fitting, very tight there. Other than those bits a very enjoyable kit! The only internal thing I might recommend is etched seatbelts.

1 hour ago, Phil32 said:

Also the cowling just forward of the cockpit sits very noticeably proud on these, so any aftermarket that claims to correct this is worth looking at. I've corrected it by sanding from the bottom, but again it's a pig.

you  have to really  careful about  mould lines (like  the cockpit side walls)  and sprue nibs, (like on the base of cockpit tub) or even paint as the tolerances are very tight. 

If  you don't you WILL have problems  as  mentioned above.

Careful dry fitting of the interior and the fuel tank cover before any gluing should sort this out. 

there is  also a very  extensive build here

comments on the fit of the fuel tank cover are made on this page

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&page=5

and I did a dry run here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1797402

and here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1799059

the pics are on photobucket,  but I'm using Firefox with the PB embed fix and  they are showing upfine

Note that @PlaStix  got it all  to fit fine. (scroll down)

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I have the Ia on a back burner because of the undercarriage problem. Is there a drop-in aftermarket replacement? My Google fu has failed me on this.

Trevor

AFAIK, no.

I liked the trick for the U/C in the linked build. Looked fairly simple to achieve. I had thought about similar as I regularly snap U/C locating lugs and pin them with rod or wire, but the use of contrail tubing to temporarily fix the legs for accurate drilling was inspired

29 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I’m a tad happy........

^_^

Trevor

are you rich Trevor?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAC48282

SAC48282.jpg?t=

all  yours for a mere £12.30.....

I have to be honest, SAC underimpress me,  as their bits are pricey,  and  the bits are often just copies of the kit plastic.

In this case,  unless you  can wiggle  in the legs later,   they'll be getting in the  way most of the build....