Homemade Acrylic thinners?

samhobbs

Hi,

I have recently been contemplating making homemade thinners, for my acrylic paints, due to the much lower cost of them, (certainly in the long run) compared to buying branded thinners from companies such as Tamiya and Mig. I have read about mixing 99.9% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) with Distilled or de-ionised water, and then adding a few drops of a paint retarder and flow improver, however I have been wondering does anyone have any tried and tested ratios for the mix of IPA and water, as I'd rather not buy all the components and mix a useless batch of 'thinners' by getting the ratios wrong. 

Thanks,

Sam

Why mix IPA with water? Just use it from the bottle!

Been using 99.9% IPA stright from the bottle (ok 5 ltr polypin) for 5 years+ as a thinner for Tamiya with excellent results. By diluting it with water you are just over-complicating things.

Just go down to the nearest petrol station or supermarket and buy a gallon of ready to use acrylic thinners.  Or screen wash as they call it.

Don't worry about the dye it doesn't show even in white paint.

Works fine for me with Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell, Vallejo and Xtracrylics acrylics, sprayed or brushed.

Cheers

Will

I have tried home made acrylic thinners and it is much better compared to pure IPA, as IPA has a very fast drying time and it does not give the paint to settle on the surface before it dries. With home made thinner (which I believe it is very close to Tamiya's acrylic thinner) I achieve better, smoother and shinier results, while pure IPA leads to flatter finishes.