Takom Tiger II Cutaway

Devcon 1

Beautifully done! Just curious as to how you cut off the parts of the armor, did you use a heated blade, saw, etc? I have a Tiger I with an interior in my storage and I would like to make it a cut-away model. 

Mark

Hi Mark.

After marking out I used a drill to make a daisy chain cut and just dragged the drill sideways to complete the break. The rough edge was sanded back with a small abrasive drum in a Dremel type tool. Final finish was some very fine abrasive paper wrapped round a bit of dowel.  I thought it would be a bind but once started it was straightforward.  I just had to think ahead about how the cut would tie in with internal and external structures.  Hope that helps. 

29 minutes ago, Devcon 1 said:

Hi Mark.

After marking out I used a drill to make a daisy chain cut and just dragged the drill sideways to complete the break. The rough edge was sanded back with a small abrasive drum in a Dremel type tool. Final finish was some very fine abrasive paper wrapped round a bit of dowel.  I thought it would be a bind but once started it was straightforward.  I just had to think ahead about how the cut would tie in with internal and external structures.  Hope that helps. 

Thanks, really helps. I couldn't find anything online.

21 hours ago, Devcon 1 said:

Thanks guys, don't be afraid to get started on it Kev it's a great kit and I'd love to see another one being built. There are a couple of patchy parts in the instructions where a little head scratching was required but I've made a mental note in preparation for the build of the early turret version which I'll start soon together with a few tweaks to painting and colours.

I'll pop the items which might help on here later.

It'll be a while before I get started on mine (too many projects, too little free time - the usual modeller's equation!) but I'm sure I'll appreciate any pointers you may have re the instructions. My instructions came with four or five 'addenda' which I've stapled into the book in the appropriate places but they may not be any of the oddities that you found.

Cheers

Kev

Hi kev and others,

Things I learnt from this one.

Q59 and Q13 lube pipes best fitted when most of the hull fitted out as location vague in guide.

All shocks painted unfitted and put in later to make it easier to paint

I will fit a blind nut in the hull to enable a paintstick/base attachment point

R31 fitted later to ease painting

I'll make the rear hull part a symmetrical cut next time

I found it easier to glue engine brackets T6 to the hull floor and not the motor

To get the right angle of R12 I taped it's vessel to the engine

Q42 and Q41 fitted at final assembly to get alignment right

I think R35 is shown wrong and needs flipping over to fit properly

The rad components were painted separately then assembled

Holes drilled in rear hull sides to accept this shackles

I'll try and find a way of better spacing the track links as they are too close

All the components for the turret basket and gun painted before assembly

The elevation bellows U34 was hard to position but ended up nearly vertical

I had to break and reglue the back of L1 to allow the gun to elevate/depress

Gun mantlet and barrel fitted after painting

Anything else I remember I'll add

Final pics to come when I have more time