Revell 1/32 Tornado GR1 Weapons Pylons

t15dja

I am building the Revell 1/32 Tornado GR1 and have a question regarding the profile of the underwing weapons pylons please. I am building it in flight with the wings fixed in the fully swept back position.

My question is regarding the pylons as moulded by Revell. When the wings are swept back each pylon does not fit the underside of the wing profile - there is a "lip", for want of a better word, at the front of each pylon that prevents it from making proper contact with the wing surface, such that only the very front and rear of the pylon actually touch the underwing surface. This will make them a challenge to attach! 

Strangely though, if I sweep the wings fully forward the pylon profile fits much better and makes good contact with the wing. I'm just wondering if that "lip" on the pylon is retractable in real life, such that when the wings are swept back the lip retracts allowing the profile of the top of the pylon to match that of the underside of the wing.  If that is the case I assume that Revell moulded the pylons in the wing-forward position and I can simply sand off the lip, which will definitely help with attachment. I am attaching a photo of the pylon to hopefully show what I mean by the lip.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Edited by t15dja
typo

Those fairings were spring loaded with a small wheel and were for the purpose you’ve deduced! They used to crack like mad, so much so I’ve seen the pylons fitted without the spring fairings! So you can sand them or remove them altogether you won’t be wrong either way!