Sea Harrier.

stevej60

Hi folk's last entry(probably) will be the re-vamped Sea Harrier as I believe Matchbox tinkered with the mold from the original,I built the hi viz original

but not this boxing as I lost interest in jet's many moons ago,another seven quid special from King Kit should arrive soon.

shar

This is the boxing I've ordered.

• Like 10

Wow Steve,..you are certainly rattling them out mate! This kit brings back memories of building a whole sqn of them in 1982!! 

They look better if you fill in the trench lines!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Wow Steve,..you are certainly rattling them out mate! This kit brings back memories of building a whole sqn of them in 1982!! 

They look better if you fill in the trench lines!

Cheers

Tony

Thank's Tony there's a story behind it,as an aircraft mad kid up in Durham aircraft were restricted to the  odd airliner descending into the then

little used Newcastle airport and military aircraft were  never seen,one day I remember running out the house to see what the  jet noise

was to see two beautiful EDSG over white Sea Harrier's lazily circling overhead later realising  the first Invicible class carrier was leaving the Tyne for

hand over to the navy,needless to say the original Sea Harrier release was bought soon after!

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see what the changes were as I've got the original boxing all set to go too as an Indian Navy High Vis example.

I have a vague recollection that the financial page in the Daily Mirror commented that so many Sea Harriers were sold by Matchbox post Falklands that it had staved off financial trouble, at least in the short term, only thing is that Wikipedia says Matchbox went under in June 1982 so either I'm imagining things or Wikipedia is wrong on timescale.

1 hour ago, Bonhoff said:

Would be interesting to see what the changes were as I've got the original boxing all set to go too as an Indian Navy High Vis example.

I have a vague recollection that the financial page in the Daily Mirror commented that so many Sea Harriers were sold by Matchbox post Falklands that it had staved off financial trouble, at least in the short term, only thing is that Wikipedia says Matchbox went under in June 1982 so either I'm imagining things or Wikipedia is wrong on timescale.

I think I was looking at a review on Modelling madness that mentioned some changes,I think Matchbox lasted until the late eighties.

Wow - yet another to watch within this great GB. I also had the original PK- 37 box and built it in Falkland’s guise. Like all my Matchbox Harriers I could never get those outrigger wheels to touch the ground unless I shaved the main gear wheels to a virtual dead flat! 

Now along with your proposed PK-11 Hurricane, this is now the 55th build to be entered in this GB. I’ve no dea what the record number of entries has been, however this seems like a very large number, so may yet set some type of BM GB record? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi folk's kit arrived.

20171109_123956

Heavy panel lines as expected but overall looks like a Sea Harrier,should be fun straight oob as with the other's,decal's fine,canopy need's

a polish.

20171109_124006

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 7:11 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Now along with your proposed PK-11 Hurricane, this is now the 55th build to be entered in this GB. I’ve no dea what the record number of entries has been, however this seems like a very large number, so may yet set some type of BM GB record?

We're doing pretty well over on the Flying Boats and Floats Planes GB too- some things just resonate, I guess.

If I could get more than 24hrs off work in one stretch, I'd have a couple of Phantoms in here!

• Like 3

Morning all,this one will have the pilot in with wheel's down as no stand was supplied,one of the strange thing's I alway's did as a kid

when adding the pilot was to cut and move the head at an angle looking out the canopy so same here.

20171110_111606

Now I assume this is the position of the nozzles for a vertical take off?

20171110_112548

Weekend of coming load's to do with the family but expect good progress on the three ongoing build's^_^

• Like 4

Hi folk's painted the interior and fitted seat,and also painted the fan and backplate before joining fuselage halve's,these kit's for all their fault's

in accuracy and deep trenches are still a joy to build when you want to keep it simple I'm definitely not finished my entries for this GB maybe I'll

do another two or three after these three are finished.

20171112_204058

• Like 5

Hi folk's,dried overnight but needed a bit of sanding due to my heavy handed spraying on the fuselage top.second coat looks much

better so just finished today's session adding the wheel's out riggers etc,looking like a Harrier now!

20171114_114010

• Like 5

Morning all,dried overnight and on her feet,dry run of the canopy shows a good fit but it is poor cloudy with a bit of discolouring I'll try and clean 

it up abit.

20171115_113859

• Like 4

Hi folk's  a snag has been hit!,I didn'thave a choice other than  to go with any other than the box option as a non jet modeller I have no spares as I would a WW2

subject I've had a nightmare time with the kit ones as they had a milky residue and some "melted",also the fuselage roundel's are terrible

over those open vent's anyway would anyone have four suitable roundel's spare? I'm going to fill the open vents so no hurry,any help appreciated

failing that maybe a whiffer in the offing.Edit.got the vents filled look ok here's as far as I can get.I'll pop a note in wanted for the decal's.

20171116_210648

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Squirrel19 said:

Sorry to hear about your decal problems Steve, your build looks great so I hope you get some replacements soon.

Many thank's fellow member Jason has saved the day and posted spare's!

• Like 1

Hi folk's a big thank you is owed to Jason who sent new decal's so this one's back on track,the filler has set in the vents so I've just put a second

lot on to dry before painting.

IMG-20171118-WA0000

• Like 6

Hi folk's no modelling this weekend so only Friday's progress which only related to this build,once I was happy with the filling of the vents

I re-painted the area,glossed and added the decal's and a few more  also painted the nozzles and started the white area's of the U/C.Pilot

is nearly done sonot long before the gallery.Oh still have to remove the excess wash.

20171125_185739

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folk's I have to be honest I hashed up the u/c painting,it looked terrible added to that i broke of each of the outrigger wheels a dozen times and

finally knocked over the liquid poly as I got up from the table and left her sitting in a pool of cement!Anyway there was no way I was going to bin her after 

Jason took the trouble to send me the decal's so took off the wheels,filled the wells and going for  an  on the stand build.I need to clean up the cockpit

framing and give the model a satin coat before fixing in place and as I threw away the old outer wheels adapt the ones I have.

20171219_110659_zpsodh3xfek.jpg

• Like 6

You know Steve, perhaps it was all meant to be? You now have both PK-2 and PK-52 (the last aircraft in the Purple Range) all nicely presented on Matchbox display stands. I think they’ll look quite good positioned side by side and kind of bookend the pinicle of British aviation. 

Cheers (and glad you didn’t bin it).. Dave

• Like 2