Do you like rotting aircraft in long grass?

nuuumannn

2 hours ago, old thumper said:

Why would a Sturmovic be left like that, I thought they were ultra rare?

There's at least four Il-10's there. By the looks of things they're not seen as being as unusual as an Il-2, although I think that's a moot point. Also, given the thickness of the armour on them, I wouldn't imagine they're going anywhere fast.

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

Interesting pics. Picture 2: what is the type between the 'DC-3/Li-2' and the Ilyushin -10 /Sturmovik?

It's a prop trainer mocked up to look like a USAF aircraft for a display / film set. a new vaguely Sabre-esque nose was welded on just forward of the cockpit bulkhead.

There's a few other really fascinating bits there including a Tu-2 in bits and a An-2 floatplane. We ran a feature on this a couple of issues ago... and you're right! Wish some of them could be saved but...

Chris

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, old thumper said:

Why would a Sturmovic be left like that, I thought they were ultra rare?

These are Il-10s, the successor to the WW2 vintage Il-2, although the Il-10 is also a 'Sturmovic', which is a generic term for a ground attack aircraft. Il-10s are not as rare as Il-2s, being quite common; you can find them on public display in museums in Prague (at Kbely - the Czechs licence manufactured them) and Cracow (at MLP), and of course at Monino. The Il-2 is rare, but even then, 'rare' is figurative. I remember passing a couple stacked on top of concrete plinths whilst travelling through western Russia many years ago. There's a beat up Il-2 outside at the military museum in Warsaw and a few on display in museums around Moscow.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:54 AM, English Electric said:

It's a prop trainer mocked up to look like a USAF aircraft for a display / film set. a new vaguely Sabre-esque nose was welded on just forward of the cockpit bulkhead

It's a Nanchang CJ-6, dressed to look like an F-84 Thunderjet. There's two views of it on my Flickr page.

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Thanks 1