Can’t help thinking...

Andy Robbins

I’ve got the new Airfix mag, with the calendar. Now, all the pictures are of existing or forthcoming box art, apart from one: a Camel. Given that in last year’s calendar, the pretty chequered BE2 was later released as a kit, could this picture be a clue? When you consider that next year is the 100th aniversary of both the Armistice and the RAF, a Camel would be a pretty iconic choice. The only blot on the horizon is that the lovely picture is of a 2F1, which Airfix first released during the reign of the pharaohs, so they might be reissuing that (I do hope not though). Having said that, next year is the 60th anniversary of that kit’s release, so they might be going for a triple celebration. But wouldn’t a Camel (and SE5a) to the standard of the BE2 and Eindecker be nice?

Edited by Andy Robbins
Poor grammar
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Airfix would be wiser to release a popular WWI type not already well represented within the very niche market of small scale biplane modeling.

Roden has nice camel kits - and yeah, I know Roden kits don't make Airfix any money. That isn't my point, so can it.

What if instead of (or in addition to) the camel, Airfix produced a new RE8 or updated it's still very nice Pup? Or a snipe for the end war/early interwar period? 

I think any one of those would find a larger audience than a camel.

A camel is not a spitfire. I don't think most casu modeler's will grab a biplane.