Thinning Mr Color Super Clear III gloss

samhobbs

I am looking into purchasing some of Mr Color's Super clear III gloss varnish, and was wondering 1. Is it pre-thinned and ready to spray with the airbrush, 2. If you do need to thin it can you use Isopropyl Alcohol, or does it have to be somekind of branded modelling thinners, and 3. if you can't use IPA to thin it what can you use other than Mr Color thinners etc.

Thanks

Is it the one in the glass jar, the GX series? If so it needs thinning to be airbrushed. The best thinner to use is Mr Color levelling thinner or plain Mr Color thinner would suffice. You could also use Tamiya lacquer thinner too. It's an excellent quality clear and gives a very nice finish..

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Noble said:

Is it the one in the glass jar, the GX series? If so it needs thinning to be airbrushed. The best thinner to use is Mr Color levelling thinner or plain Mr Color thinner would suffice. You could also use Tamiya lacquer thinner too. It's an excellent quality clear and gives a very nice finish..

Yes it is the GX series the ones in the glass jars, do you know of any cheaper alternatives to the Mr color thinners, as I am on a tight budget. Thanks

Not sure. I've only ever used the levelling thinner with the GX colours and clear. It would probably thin with a general lacquer thinner such as used with Zero paints, but most would be as expensive as the dedicated Mr Color thinner. If you're looking for something off the shelf such as ipa or similar I'm not sure it would work, as nothing I've ever used smells like the Mr Color stuff. You generally only need a few drops of thinner per mix so a bottle of the Mr Color thinner does last a while..

Mr Super Clear is my 'go to' gloss clear coat. Yes it will need thinning to get the best results. As Steve has already said it would be best to use one of Gunze's dedicated thinners, I use the self levelling thinner for this, as you want to get the best finish you can.

By the time I have got to the glossing stage I have invested so much time and effort into getting there I wouldn't want to ruin all that by applying a dodgy gloss coat so the cost of a bottle of Mr Color Thinner isn't even a consideration (especially as it can be used with other paints too such as enamels and Tamiya acrylics).

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

ive just thinned my Mr Color UV cut Super Clear III gx112 with Aqueous Mr Hobby colour thinner 110. the colour of the varnish in the pot has turned from a thick clear to a thinner cloudy colour. i suppose this wont do not to use on a model. any recommendations?

You mixed up your thinners. The Aqueous one is designed for their "acrylic" range. For the lacquer products (Mr Color and the GX series) you need the Mr. Color thinner or the Leveling Thinner. If you have the right thinner you could try doing a mix in a cup and see how it behaves, but there is the possibility you might have to condemn the content of the bottle. If you don't have their brand thinner use some standard automotive lacquer thinner. The results aren't as good, but it works.

Edited by bmwh548