This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

dominic_2005

Queen Mary 2 1/400 by Revell - Attempt number 4

Evening.

Although there is still a lot I need to get for this, there are still things I can be getting on with.

Such as making holes in a beautifully molded and crafted hull.

Time to crack out the Dremmel!

y4mCuSH-KucFpGvdqO7FpZL9k-auttaZSXqcqJeT

Thankfully, the plastic is really thick, and the areas that are indented where the windows are is really thin. As an added bonus, the thing frame in the middle of each window is the full thickness, so will be pretty strong. Holding up to the light, you can see how thin the windows actually are:

y4m7dHQWwk4Dl8zWGkqwrJuHX2g3vSt_pR3tVnQW

It doesn't actually take very much to sand it through, but leaving the frames perfectly intact!

y4mj9WdNdgBT1HIAbfNqS6Ls0DdriFlTT7JWrAjs

There will of course be a little tidying up to do afterwards...

y4masgA_qZwtENpTkm4MZhgSyG-dXm3oBtEwOsaz

Although it seems like a daunting task, it goes pretty quick. Much better than having to drill 4 holes in each window and cutting with a blade anyway.

So I will leave you with my progress so far. I won't be in any rush to complete this task, as I have several weeks, maybe months before I have everything else I need.

y4mOoRHj1bTvOI439OwHsZRhNJIo3TxW7bWOmyMR

Thanks

D

On 13/11/2017 at 22:14, BluesModeller said:

I have the Haynes Manual for the QM2 if you need to know anything.

I actually do.

Where are the navigation (red & green) lamps located? I can't see them anywhere in any image.

Thanks

At the forward end of the the two hull pieces at the level of the promenade deck are two openings and the red "Cunard" decals No.37 are placed forward of these openings. Between the letter D on the port side, the letter C on the starboard side and the openings a rectangle is moulded, these are the navigation light housings and will be black in colour.

Chris

18 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

At the forward end of the the two hull pieces at the level of the promenade deck are two openings and the red "Cunard" decals No.37 are placed forward of these openings. Between the letter D on the port side, the letter C on the starboard side and the openings a rectangle is moulded, these are the navigation light housings and will be black in colour.

Chris

Great thanks. I've seen those moldings on the kit. That makes it really easy to light as well.

51 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Watching this with great interest. I've just managed to get the kit from that well known auction place and will be looking to light it.

No pressure then lol

Hope you are not eager to start yours? Might be a few more months before I can even get everything I need :(

20 minutes ago, dominic_2005 said:

No pressure then lol

Hope you are not eager to start yours? Might be a few more months before I can even get everything I need :(

No worries. I have a couple of others in the queue first and my build speed is verrrry slooooooowwwwww.... but I also want to light mine eventually so will be watching how you get on and looking for tips. Good luck!!

Good afternoon

I think I have finally finalised how I am going to light this. And it's completely different from the way I originally had in mind.

Instead of (being lazy) and making use of pre-wired, pre-resistored LEDs and wiring each LED directly to the power source. I will instead wire them in series chains of 2 or 3 mostly, with the odd single LED where there is no alternative. Aside from being the correct way of doing it, it also gives me great redundancy, as if 1 LED should fail, it's not going to take the rest of them with it, as I had happen with my Aida Luna.

(All the time I've been planning this, I was desperately trying to come up with a way of accessing everything after it's all put together, but I just cannot think of a way without compromising the finished look.)

And over all, it works out cheaper too, another bonus lol

During my planning, I've made (and tested) several schematics for my wiring. I will break everything up into 5 layers of LEDs, depending on where they sit within the ship vertically, and each layer into 2 halves, to help with the amp load. Which by the way, according to my calculations, sits at around 2.5A, so I need to re-think my power supply as the one I had in mind wouldn't handle it. (1A). Somewhere into my plans, I will incorporate a fuse, (which will go under the stand for access), as soon as I work out whether the value of fuse I need should be the same as each circuit (Approx 1/2 Amp) or the total value of all the circuits (Approx 2.5 Amp).

y4mWDO2H1xVwkKdVLD9kKfyYTQffLP1b4dqz15rL

y4m_sG2ZQDu6IWcj_L7di4vBHosTGNSoKWrn5R_B

y4myzonNM87QdVDZFRq0r-EYDs7xDpBTQ21Ph7tJ

y4mUK3zT_6dyhWxk22p8vx1pMoeQsscrYyZBNHdG

y4mfxf9xtAIxeZvVZw0GECeL-iqy0Rz5aCahIcZL

Thanks

D

Good afternoon.

I've further revised my electrical plans, taking into account better ways of wiring, directing light, etc. I've also drawn up my plans into slightly more accurate schematics, with some personal changes to make it easier for me to read and remember.

My total price still to spend, including paints and detail kits etc, is around £280 eeeek!

You will probably have to click on the images for them to be legible. (Any LED marked "Driver" will be used to drive fibre optics. I have left some scope to add further LEDs as I go, which is most likely to happen.

y4m4aUXyFsQn4cW5GxNEK_0zuz-QH6QZFt_n7Op8

y4m8VecH4an1pPTQDdQz0WoYCxnf4rr2fcl6wVdF

y4mLQJaFYELscEKNGes5LKfaTOjtPSy5wxp_lVLZ

y4mVjB5t-Rf3nazqpmXI2oIXPF66_-hFCc0YNEVy

y4mp6qFFwYWitDutf-3BTXi6TMbx9D3BJuDOPDcW

Thanks

D

On 11/14/2017 at 8:06 PM, dominic_2005 said:

The kit itself finally arrived today, which was a relief as it was a private listing and I was starting to have concerns.

The box was a bit battered, but the listing did mention that. Not to worry, I am not building a box lol. As is always the case with this kit, it was well packed. Nothing looks like it had ever been opened so will have been fairly well preserved, aside from the obligatory broken stairs on the main deck piece. Don't think any of the kits I've had of this ship have been intact, usually something is damaged. Clean break so simple fix though.

I know you guys have probably seen pics of the contents a thousand times before, but well, here they are again.

Thanks

D

y4mA551p31LWaPOQdeOwMmWuLttTUTgP1Sq7_3hC

y4m-sqLZUpLPLPaNDPwHWTzcSjIwxbQlycbX7hB-y4mLkkw4WOMV8Ke657yZMRmWeow-vjIoTzL02nEe

Hi nice work with your QM2. I had the same problem with a broken staircase, but mine was on the top deck. Are you have painting or Airbrushing yours? I am airbrushing mine, and I didn't realise how much masking was involved.