RNZAF Grumman TBF-1C Avenger 30 SU

Hi All,

This one I started some time ago on another forum, but placed on the back burner till now.

RNZAF WWII aircraft whilst popular are generally built and presented on forums with either bad technical information

or the modeller decided to build it that way (I have no issue with that - as long as they state this is their take on the subject,

and don't try and offer up all types of garbage as to why the built it that way).

The issue I have as a Kiwi, is the Know it Alls who don't know it all, or will tell you, "I have this book etc etc etc".

I make no apologies for the rant, I've grown tired of these people spouting comments on forums and when you

correct them (with actual technical or correct historical evidence) they tell you they have the Kiwi Bible on this or that:huh:

or people who write comments for books or magazines........

The July 2016 version of Flypast, whilst had some correct info, also makes out that the RNZAF only flew the TBF-1 - which we did

for training, the actual aircraft in combat was the TBF-1C two totally different beasties............. hence my above comments

The reason for this build is  a bit of a breather :D, my Sunderland III build is coming along, but cutting and gluing internal stringers

sort of gets to you after a an hour or so at a time so, something more or less OOB to keep my sanity:lalala:

Also the next reason for this build is this. My all time favorite RNZAF TBF-1C is the one with the "Flying Kiwi -Who said the B--d Couldn't Fly".

For a long time the actual serial for this aircraft was not known - until just recently I discovered the correct serial NZ2522 -(the author

of the Flypast segment even got that wrong - people read it, get the wrong info --- argh. :rage:)

just recently I found out on RNZAF Proboards the serial

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/25871/ventura-rnzaf-scale-avenger-decals?page=1&scrollTo=257463

Having found that, I just had to finish building my Avenger!!!!

So onward and upward

Box art

4707ce35-7e11-44ae-b935-0c7c82c932cc.jpg

Inside the box

a79134de-62e7-4afc-96e5-fae9f584cec2.jpg

Some big pieces of Photo etch

fbb1a1c5-4a26-4f17-b39e-193f74911567.jpg

Check out the size of the fuselage

6b9a6328-9f67-4652-bb8a-fd5d8a82fe07.jpg

Will use Montex Masks - More on RNZAF Marking later - the Flying Kiwi will probably have to be hand done

9260defe-19d7-414a-a556-7fee1f81b0cc.jpg

As always a good book for reference

12c00a2f-1dda-4be1-bf16-5b16d9ff8ac9.jpg

A photo from my personal collection (Not NZ2522)

8907ca30-b0ae-4b9a-ae57-c7cd5e2f2319.jpg

Kit Instruction are well laid out (to me anyway)

26ef3431-9ea7-481b-9170-a4409359d91b.jpg

OK Time for Tea, so more a bit later on......:D

Just so people are clear on this, I'm not one of those modellers who are precious with their build posts, if you have

questions please ask away.

Thanks for stopping by

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Nice to see you doing this Alan, I've long wanted to do a Kiwi Avenger even though in my scale it'll be the Academy one, not the best but OK with some work I think. I only recently unravelled the TBF-1, -1C distinction via Pete Mossong's pages so happier about it now, hoping Malcolm will do his new set in 1/72 but if not, I can cope with the current one I think or the Aeromaster sheet.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Magua87 said:

Always good to see RNZAF topics. Looking forward to this with your attention to the historical detail. 

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice to see you doing this Alan, I've long wanted to do a Kiwi Avenger even though in my scale it'll be the Academy one, not the best but OK with some work I think. I only recently unravelled the TBF-1, -1C distinction via Pete Mossong's pages so happier about it now, hoping Malcolm will do his new set in 1/72 but if not, I can cope with the current one I think or the Aeromaster sheet.

Steve.

Thanks gents for you comments :D

Steve - Yes it will be interesting to see if Malcolm does a do 1/72 sheet for RNZAF TBF's (1's & 1C's and I suppose Post WWII too)

Little bit of History, in 1942 the RNZAF became attached to the US Navy and under overall command of the command of the the US Navy

(while unit/Squadron command remained with the RNZAF).

Wally Ingham who was attached to both 30 & 31 SU's wrote of how it was to live under US command in his book above

especially in the forward areas.

The RNZAF received both the TBF-1 and TBF-1C, it was the TBF-1C which saw action, all arrived requiring assembly, which was carried

out at RNZAF Hobsonville (where I grew up) certainly these two hangars would have seen both sets of TFB's

Gate entry to Hobsonville

6fdaadd1-d948-4fad-82e5-77edab02e79a.jpg

Hangars

bbc08f68-0292-41cd-a35b-f4297491cef8.jpg

e91f7a57-0624-4f66-9e16-7f2374e8b7db.jpg

Once assembled at Hobsonville the TBF-1C's were dispatched to RNZAF Gisborne (East Coast of New Zealand)

Upon arrival there, Wally records again in his book that the Commanding Officer gave permission for the aircraft

to be adorned with motifs - Disney characters were popular (Donald Duck, Grumpy/Happy the Dwarves, Clara Belle Cow,

Dumbo the baby Elephant), others had a personal touch, such as Fred Ladd's TBF-1C with the Dripping Beer Barrel (Plonky),

which was meant to be derogatory to the Japanese (interestingly enough Ladd was a teetotaler).

While the TBF was designed to be a Torpedo bomber, the RNZAF never dropped a torpedo in anger, even though

as recorded by Wally, crews were sent to Australia to train in the art with the US Navy.

So onto the model - Starting with the power plant, Wright R2600 engine, the cylinders given a "Bronzing" effect

The engine is not complete, as there are still other items to add.

cf7a111a-8304-4f9c-9591-62f5aa947209.jpg

The Engine bay comprising of the engine bearers, which is missing the dishpan, Trumpeter didn't include one

with its kit as in the below photo of an actual RNZAF TBF-1c, the wood item is a mould to vacuuform/plunge

mould a dishpan

6a937d09-760a-4829-98d7-13ef91a7cd70.jpg

28d42d67-d0a8-4f92-b5f6-1380dd4d57d2.jpg

The mould its self

02e05b7f-7b98-4c7b-bfe5-2a671aba2a61.jpg

Where it will sit in relation to the fuselage

13c4ef3e-ec4c-4c83-850b-b2904c983613.jpg

The Real thing

bc24e401-754b-46eb-9dfc-1e0dd894a1f2.jpg

Thanks for looking in, more soon

Regards

Alan